Noisy Xantia Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham593192

Noisy Xantia Suspension

Post by graham593192 »

Can any one help?
I have a '95 xantia 1.8 16v hatchback thats just hit 90k. I have just changed all 6 speres as the suspension had gone solid and as the old girl has never given me any other problems i thought i'd treat her to some new suspension!! The ride is a lot smoother, almost like new.
However the front still feels a bit stiff and there is still a banging/knocking noise coming from somewhere down the front when i go over bumps/potholes. I've read in other topics here about anti role bars and drop links being the cause. Is this likely to be the cause? If so are they easy to change?
As i can hardly feel the bumps a don't want to here them any more either!! Any help greatfully recieved!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It will probably be the anti roll bar drop links, they are like a rod about 12" long with a ball joint on each end, one end bolted to the anti roll bar, the other to the bottom suspension link. They are quite easy to change and obtainable from GSF at a very reasonable price.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Exactly like Peter said!!!!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

thnks for the help. i suspected the drop links may be the problem. are they easy to change? do i need a ball joint seperator to do the job as it states in the haynes manual?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I did mine about a year ago.Once you get the car jacked up etc & the wheels off,it took me about 15 mins a side to do.I cut the nuts top & bottom off with a hacksaw,as its quicker than trying to undo the rusted solid nuts.Very easy job.Did`nt need a bail joint separator. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Click the pic...

One end is bolted onto the end of the anti roll bar the other to a tab shoulder on the side of the front suspension strut.

They've been a right bitch to come off for me in the past on many Xantias and Xm's, so spare some time cleaning and freeing the threads that you can see first! The problem is, whilst the ball joints aren't taper shouldered, the trick is to actually undo the nyloc nut past the corroded thread...

You MAY be lucky and get one off, but two WILL be really pushing it. It'll be far easier and quicker to hacksaw or grind the nut off - you're not planning to keep the old worn drop link after all!!

Hope this helps.

Andrew
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

4" angle grinder, 1mm cutting disc, takes about 2 mins / side to remove the the drop links. Don't even bother trying to undo them :lol: Just watch that the grinder doesn't kick back and slice the handbrake cable off (mine has a couple of nicks in it now :oops: )
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It amazes me to see so many people talk about cutting the bolts off with a hacksaw or angle grinder... what gives ?

I'll be doing the left droplink on my car soon and from looking at the condition of the bolts I don't think I'll have any trouble undoing them with the help of a little bit of LPS1.... but then again we don't salt our roads over here.... :D

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

The point of the hacksaw/angle grinder,Simon,is that the whole joint will

turn if the nut meets any resistance on the thread.At the other end you

have just a 6 or 7mm allen key slot with which to stop this.....right!

I tried it last year and resorted to the old hacksaw.

Now it appears I have the same problem again and wonder at the reason for the very short lifespan of these things.Any clues anyone?

Regards
aitch
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Had droplinks rattling again after less than 8000 miles !. Went for the main dealer part, in over 20,000 miles now and still good. A lot more expensive though !

Brian
97 Xantia TD
93 Xantia TD (RIP)
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Thanks for that Brian-it`s more or less what I`m suspecting. Mine were from a motor factors and indeed less than half the price of Cit main dealers.
Still, you`d think they would last more than ,in my case,about 5k miles.

Looks like I`ll have to get my musty wallet out again, :cry:
aitch
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I bought some from a local factors a year or so ago, they lasted all of two weeks.
Replaced them with ones from GSF, Moog brand by Federal Mogul, that was about 25000 miles ago so well pleased with them at about £17 apiece.

Dave
Frenchie_SCG
My Cars:

Post by Frenchie_SCG »

I'm afraid cutting is inevitable.
regards
'98. Xantia 1.9 TD
6 Spheres, a/c