spheres????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meonk
My Cars:

spheres????

Post by meonk »

hi, does any one know if you can use the spheres of a 1.9d, and put them on a 1.9td, as i need a quick fix.
thanks

thanks all, i now have a y reg 406 hdi. so the xantias are for sale, £300ish for the pair,there ia a better description in the for sale part of the forum.

thanks
toby
Last edited by meonk on 19 Dec 2005, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Sturdybloke

will it fit???

Post by Sturdybloke »

As far as I remember the spheres are the same dimensions, the difference being the pressure inside being slightly different. So the answer to your question is that they should fit, but as I have never experimented "swapping" spheres for ones with a different pressure spec inside them I dont know how the handling will turn out........ Im sure that someone on here has done it before (try a search you may find the exact answer) - Anthony.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

No they are different. If you send your E mail me I will send you a chart detailing the different part numbers and Citroen car models they fit.
Cheers!
John
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Let's brush up the differences on the Citroen spheres :

1) The volume (size)
2) initial pre-charge pressure
3) Center orifice diameter
4) number & thickness of damper valve dishes
5) membrane construction

Each and every Hydropneumatic Citroen model have a sphere type calibrated to use for either front or rear axle.
Calibration goes on specific weight on axle, car's load capability, top speed, climate and aim of driving behaviour. Add to this the 4 types of accumulator spheres : main, anti.sink, hydractive & activa.
Then you get the vast selection of Citroen sphere types.

The only things that are exactly the same over the sphere types are the mounting thread and square section seal.
My present BX TD runner was purchased with wrong front spheres fitted. I found out by the stamped on part number the spheres were meant for BX14 which has a leightweight engine. The result was a soft & undamped front suspension (like a car with shot shockers).
After replacement of the spheres my TD now drives completely different.

Back to the present problem :
It would be a direct swap for a quick test of spheres and front struts. However I'm not sure the handling would feel correct. Maybe too undamped like I had on my TD.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I also understand that the rear Xantia sphere were larger in the screw fitting from 96 on?
Cheers!
John
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

There are a few sites that have a list of all Citroen Spheres, where you may find possiblilities of exchanging between different models, whenever possible.

GSF has a complete list in PDF.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
meonk
My Cars:

Post by meonk »

thanks for the replys. i think i will scrap the cars and get a 406, starting to regret getting a xantia...

thanks again..
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Spheres are by no means expensive these days, and easily available. There's really no reason to use old ones (except for a few days in an emergency), and you don't know how long they will last. Fit new replacements, and they should last 3-5 years.
BTW, the accumulator and anti-sink spheres from the 1.9D will be OK - but I'd still recommend a new accumulator for safety's sake.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

JohnT wrote:I also understand that the rear Xantia sphere were larger in the screw fitting from 96 on?
No, all LHM (green) spheres have the same screw thread and seal type, you're thinking of different diameter pistons in the hydraulic cylinders, which increased from 35mm pre-96 to 37 or 38mm (cant remember which off hand) post-96 in the sedans. The estate always used 40mm.

A different piston diameter given the same arm leverage ratios requires a different pressure sphere to give the same ride characteristic - this is why estates had 40 bar rear spheres and sedans have 30 bar ones, its mainly the piston diameter difference rather than a weight difference...

Regards,
Simon
Last edited by Mandrake on 18 Dec 2005, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote: Back to the present problem :
It would be a direct swap for a quick test of spheres and front struts. However I'm not sure the handling would feel correct. Maybe too undamped like I had on my TD.
As a "quick fix" while waiting for replacements they would be drivable, but I wouldn't use them long term. Basically the higher pressure and larger damper bypass hole would cause a softer floatier ride.

The downside would be increased body roll, increased dive on braking, slight bias of the handling characteristics more towards oversteer (or less understeer) during cornering, and just poorer handling in general. Whether dangerously so is hard to predict.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

meonk wrote:thanks for the replys. i think i will scrap the cars and get a 406, starting to regret getting a xantia...
Thats a bit harsh ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Sturdybloke

eh!!!

Post by Sturdybloke »

Thats what I meant - the threads are the same on almost all, not the actual dimensions of the sphere itself, although I dont know if they are the same (body wise for the idiots) shape/size as I have never owned a CX, BX, SM, XM or DS only a Xantia. Seems a shame to throw away a car just because you cant be arsed to buy proper TD spheres.......If you do chuck it away throw it in my direction (after xmas though, no time to pick it up now) - Anthony.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Whats the reason for chucking it regarding the spheres...they are pretty cheap for what they are and the life you get out of them and that floaty light feel, and its a job that everyone can pretty much tackle with a bit of encouragement for some of us that havent replaced one before.

If you chucking it just for that reason then send the car my way too (2 Xantia's, now thats worth living for :lol: )....well sturdybloke can have the back end of the car and i'll have the front end of it :P
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
meonk
My Cars:

Post by meonk »

thanks all, they are 4 sale now look in the for sale bit.

thanks
Sturdybloke

weekend time

Post by Sturdybloke »

And at the weekends and holidays you can have the back and I will have the front :lol: - Anthony.