BOL more lies, what a surprise!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

BOL more lies, what a surprise!

Post by oscarloco »

I had to remove the radiator of my ZX due to a water leak in the hot-end tank.

BOL says: remove hoses, unclip and pull out radiator.

YEAH RIGHT
:evil:
I had to manouver my hand between the aircon compressor and the car chassis just to remove the 2 small hoses that enter the cold-end tank. But first, I had to remove the accesory belt because it was in the way.

Then, to remove the lower hose, I had to work from under the car and use all my strenght and swearing to turn the ring. I removed it, managed to get coolant in my shirt and face and I tought, now the hard part is over, let's pull out the rad.

BOL should have pop-up signs that say "SURPRISE". The rad wouldn't come out, there wasn't enough room to clear the front of the car (where the lights are attached) and the throttle body.

So, I loosened both bolts, my father pulled the offending piece of chassis and I finally pulled the rad out.

Dang BOL :( :evil:
Last edited by oscarloco on 16 Dec 2005, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Sounds similar to my fun with my Xantia.

TheAircon hoses and the intercooler ducts block most access from most angles. They guessed that the english would one day but em so made it as difficult as possible. Still getting their own back for Waterloo.

The rad drain plug can only be accessed from underneath, it then sprays in all directions and fills up the main harness bundlewhich runs underneath it in a split convoluted tube (with the split on top!)

You really need an arm only 10mm thick of titaniium and a hand 6mm thick also of titanium and fingers able to exert about 20 Kg force in a twisting motion by applying just finger tips.

All Xantia owners need to unclip and rotate the harness covering to get another eyeful of antifreeze.

Wish you continuing luck mate!
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

If it was easy everyone would be doing it, I changed the Rad on a 406 recently and the hoses are held in place with wire clips, fine when new but after 85k miles, I finally resorted to an eighteen inch tyre lever and hammer#4 and smashed the bits I did not need, had I been removing the rad for maintenance i would have had to remove the other end of the bottom hose
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Rad change on my ZX was quite easy. But I didn't have aircon & its only a 1.4 so theres plenty of room.

I seem to recall removing the drivers side headlight was a good move as there is a hole under it that you can put your arm down to really tug on the bottom hose.

The two pipes you mention I think are the oil cooler pipes, up they're a pain.

I also found I cut my hands soo many times of the top clips that hold the rad in.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You cant beat the old jubilee clip fittings. I changed the one on my XM recently and apart from the skin I removed from the back of my hand trying to pull the hose off, it was quite straightforward.

If the manual told you what was really involved, no one would ever attempt it.

A flexible hose clip nut driver is an absolute life saver, get one if you dont have it, there only a couple of quid.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Stewart(oily) wrote:If it was easy everyone would be doing it, I changed the Rad on a 406 recently and the hoses are held in place with wire clips, fine when new but after 85k miles, I finally resorted to an eighteen inch tyre lever and hammer#4 and smashed the bits I did not need, had I been removing the rad for maintenance i would have had to remove the other end of the bottom hose
Stewart
Yes the Xantia has the same rad fittings with the wire clips. I used an 18inch cold chisel and club hammer to cut off the bottom hose spiggot. Then spent another hour trying to get the broken bit off the hose end. Blowlamp was the answer in the end. Obviously trying not to damage the O ring underneath.

I would have fitted new O rings but none came with the new rad nor are they listed in GSF.
The top one was as new! Eyes shut walk past and its done!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I think haynes manuals should be like noisy birthday cards.... when you open them they should start singing ... "there may be trouble ahead..." :lol: