Off to the graveyard

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marpate1
My Cars:

Off to the graveyard

Post by marpate1 »

Well, my crankshaft pulley is loose again - I was concerned that the crank was damaged last time and it appears that it was #-o

So, the crank is even more buggered this time and rather than waste any more time on it, the car has to go.

Anyone want a __very__ cheap Xantia 1.9TD to break in Cheltenham otherwise off to the scrappy.

Cheers and thanks for all of your great help - not sure if I'll be back as I have no idea of what car to buy next.

Mark

mailto:marpate1@yahoo.co.uk
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
(much better than a Mondeo!)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Rather than scrap it... why not put it on ebay for £1 start and no reserve.

you can guarantee someone will want it, they will have to come and take it away, and you may make a few tenners into the bargain.

Just wondering... I had a crankshaft pulley come loose on my 1.9TD engine, and I re-fitted it with threadlock compound, to the silly torque that it needs... and it's been fine since.

Have you tried this?
This is not a signature.
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

fastandfurryous wrote:Rather than scrap it... why not put it on ebay for £1 start and no reserve.

you can guarantee someone will want it, they will have to come and take it away, and you may make a few tenners into the bargain.

Just wondering... I had a crankshaft pulley come loose on my 1.9TD engine, and I re-fitted it with threadlock compound, to the silly torque that it needs... and it's been fine since.

Have you tried this?
I guess the problem is space. We already have two cars on the drive and another out the front would be a nightmare.

When I replaced the pulley I did exactly as you suggested and it was OK for a whole 3 weeks! The woodruf key slot in the crank is already out of shape and I guess that the slightest problem at these revs would soon take it's toll.

The rear of the pulley is nearly gone - disintegrated.

I think I'd prefer the local scrappy to collect it and give me some beer money with which to drown my sorrows :)
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
(much better than a Mondeo!)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Weld it on to the crank and keep driving the car till the cambelt snaps!!! You may get another 3 or 4 weeks or another 3 or 4 years use out of it!!! There's just no telling......it'd be a shame to scrap it for the sake of a few minutes with a mig.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

:shock:

ooooooo... vicious! But effective.

If the crankshaft is fairly knackered anyway, then there's nothing to loose from doing this....
This is not a signature.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

lateral! pop a new belt on first and you might get 50k :D
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Sounds like there's a cheap car going if anybody is willing to fix its problem, bodge it and drive it until something else breaks.

I'm sure some people in the trade would replace the belts and weld the pulley up, then stick it on ebay, advertised as having a new set of belts fitted...
Sturdybloke

end of the line

Post by Sturdybloke »

So what are you going to do with your Xantia?