Bit of a Random one this

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Bit of a Random one this

Post by rossnunn »

Does anyone know of a substance thats easily applyable, waterproof but not conductive & is not likey to melt plastic / solder etc
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

What are you hatching up!?

Not sure about the conductivity side of things but isn't HEAVY grease something that's cheap and easily available in large quantities?

I'm thinking of the waterproof sludge type that sticks like watchamacallit on the blanket NOT the more commonly used LM or Graphite Grease...

Just a thought!

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

For protecting & sealing electric & electronics circuits there is a wide selection of dedicated sprays available.
Look at Maplin's website.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

nothing fancy, my cross-overs have suffered water ingress, I've cleaned them but want to seal them to stop it getting any worse
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

rossnunn wrote:nothing fancy, my cross-overs have suffered water ingress, I've cleaned them but want to seal them to stop it getting any worse
Bathroom/standard housework Silicone sealant in a tube that you'd use for sealing a loose headlight glass will do that no probs!!

Andrew
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Maplins do loads of small boxes specifically for electronics - with appropriate glands, grommets etc. Also silicon greases. Another alternative is to set the boards in a bath of polyester resin and make into a transparent brick.
jeremy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Bathroom/standard housework Silicone sealant in a tube that you'd use for sealing a loose headlight glass will do that no probs!!
Sorry to differ, but silicone sealant gives off acetic acid as it cures, which will eventually corrode the board and components.
What you need is a conformal coating - widely used and designed for just this application - protects against vibration too.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

dnsey wrote:
silicone sealant gives off acetic acid as it cures, which will eventually corrode the board and components.
What you need is a conformal coating - widely used and designed for just this application - protects against vibration too.
Didn't realise this. Do you know whether acrylic sealant has a similar effect?

Andrew
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If a silicone isn't appropriate because of the aceitic acid, there are alternatives. There are numerous latex based sealants (is silkaflex latex?), various modified silicones etc. One I've used is "Nail and Seal", I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it doesn't smell of aceitic acid. It's particularly good for sealing things because it will stick to a variety of materials that silicone won't, it even sticks to some plastics that are "difficult" to glue. It isnt expensive, stays rubbery when cured and it works as an effective glue (holding the soles onto a pair of my trainers!).
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Why use a substitute for the correct material?
Try, for example, RS product no. 714-462
rswww.com
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Some of those 'No nail' adhesives shrink as they dry out, the last thing you need on a delicate PCB. Go for a covering which is designed for the job. I agree that a trip to Maplins is on the cards.
Cheers!
John