Buying a ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Buying a ZX

Post by np »

My wifes Fiesta is slowly dying away,becoming unrealible etc.Its not worth chucking anymore money at it.Been having a look at ZX`s on the internet.It seems you can get a tidy car with PAS,elecy windows & all the toys for very cheap prices.Thinking of a 1.4,or a 1.9D/TD.
I know all about the diesel engines,but how about the 1.4 petrol?Is it any good.She wont be doing mega motorway miles,so speed & power is not important.Anything nasty to look for on the ZX`s,apart from the normal things on any car.
Many thanks,Neil. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Having had both, I would definitely go for a diesel (turbo if possible). Most of the engine problems on the diesel are fairly easily sorted. Plus, all these cars are getting on a bit now, and the petrol might start to run into emissions problems soon.

There are numerous 'what to look out for' threads for the ZX. Usual culprits include:

Oil in coolant
Heater matrix leaking
Shot trailing arms (wheels leaning inwards)
Worn front suspension bushes
Knackered electric windows and central locking
Air leaks and burnt out glow plugs (diesel)
Poor idling and high emissions (petrol)

Hopefully you won't find many of these together!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'd avoid the petrol ones - head gaskets are not exactly their stong points. The TD is a hoot :twisted: , but the D is acceptable if you're not into hammering round country lanes, and will do 50+ MPG.

Expect some knocking from the rear on any you test drive - this will be the subframe mounts. 1/2 day to replace, but worth the effort, and a good bargaining point! The dash bulbs will probably want replacing, but again couple of hours work will sort that.

They tend to rust behind the PAS tank, and ours is starting to go in the corners of the boot as well, but should be easily sorted with the MIG.

If you can find one with rear discs, so much the better - cars with rear drums can be less than inspiring on the brakes, even when they're in tip top condition. If it does have drums, try and find out if the rear wheel cylinders have been replaced - they start leaking, and changing them is a pain (another half day, but bank on new pipes as well!).

Headlights are pants, but not bad if fitted with Vision Plus or similar.

There's plenty about, and even good ones are cheap. Buy carefully to avoid heartache later.

They really are good cars, and very underrated (hence the price). Folk rave about the 306, but check out the prices, buy a ZX and look smug 8)
Richard W
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I think it's far better to get one made before they fitted the dreaded ECU into them :) . that happened in 1994..So "K" reg is safe,and some "L" regs are ok..

I find the 1.9D is a great lil car, it doesn't excelerate very fast, but that's about the only fault it has. :D Idealy you want the Aura as it has nicer, more comfy seats, and usefull extras such as map pockets in the back of the front seats that are sometimes missing in the more basic models..

Good luck, and happy hunting.. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

My wifes Fiesta is slowly dying away,becoming unrealible etc.Its not worth chucking anymore money at it
Don't forget, you are probably looking at someones wifes ZX whos in the same boat as you are............"I know, lets stick it on ebay to get rid of it"....... :twisted:
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well if its a turbo d make sure that you dont have to do the glow plugs anytime soon, not as tricky on the straight diesel's

Petrol too me shouldnt be even considered!

Straight diesels are fine if your not in a hurry, however if you learn to get the momentum right, it can be quite nippy at times :)
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Thanks for the replys.I think we will look for a diesel,as its bacicly the same engine as mine,which i know all about.Theres afew local to us we might look at,but its getting the time at the mo as i`m working 12 hr night shifts at the docks.Tonight is my 6th night on the row.Hopefully i might have sat night off so could look on sun.Theres a couple on Ebay local that i`m watching,but would like to see them 1st.
Will let you know.
Many thanks to all.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k