Juddery clutch (1.9D gearbox on TD engine)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Juddery clutch (1.9D gearbox on TD engine)

Post by Wookey »

My clutch is getting increasingly juddery. It's now pretty much impossible to do a smooth gearchange except at low speed. What might be causing this?

Vehicle is Expert van. Engine is XUD9TE from a 1995 xantia (changed March 2005). I kept the old gearbox from the previous non-TD engine, which may well have slightly different ratios (although I haven't been able to confirm this). This may not be ideal but I wouldn't expect it to cause clutch-judder.

The clutch and release bearing were not changed when I did the engine as both seemed to be in good condition. I did give the release bearing a good greasing and put a bit of oil in it. Hmm - maybe that wasn't very smart. perhpas if you put oil in the release bearing it gets thrown out onto the clutch plate - and I believe oil on the plate can cause juddering?

Presumably there is nothing to be done apart from taking the clutch off to have a look, and probably replace it anyway at that point?

(and why do people only sell whole clutch units these days, rather than just the plate bit that wears out?)

Opinions welcome.
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Re: Juddery clutch (1.9D gearbox on TD engine)

Post by AndersDK »

Wookey wrote:The clutch and release bearing were not changed when I did the engine as both seemed to be in good condition. I did give the release bearing a good greasing and put a bit of oil in it. Hmm - maybe that wasn't very smart. perhpas if you put oil in the release bearing it gets thrown out onto the clutch plate - and I believe oil on the plate can cause juddering?

Presumably there is nothing to be done apart from taking the clutch off to have a look, and probably replace it anyway at that point?
- very true words :roll:
Another oil source is a worn crank seal behind the flywheel. Guess how you get to replace that one ?
You can still buy clutch friction plates and release bearings as single parts. But how fun is it exactly to remove the gearbox once more within a couple of months - to replace the "good" driven plate or bearing :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Before you go pulling the clutch apart, just have a quick check of the state of the rear engine mounting-this can cause juddering if its breaking up.
(and why do people only sell whole clutch units these days, rather than just the plate bit that wears out?)

Opinions welcome.

I only usually replace the friction plate- if the bearing's working fine on a tuesday and you put in a new friction plate there's no reason to suppose the bearing'll suddenly die on the wednesday, and I've never seen a pressure plate with anything more than very slight wear on it. The springs could break, but its never happened to me- maybe I've just been lucky!!!

The only grease I use when I do a clutch is a tiny smear of copper grease on the shaft splines and bearing carrier- I've never put anything on the release bearing itself.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with bxbodger, check the mountings not only on the gearbox but also on the exhaust, as anything that normally stabilises the engine, that isnt, can cause your problem. If it is oil on the friction plate, you should be able to burn it off by slipping the clutch under load for 10 or 15 seconds, dont overdo it and burn it out though!
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Hi Wookey, I have had this problem twice and both times it was water leaking into the inspection? hole on top of the bellhousing, be lucky
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

first thing to check is clutch adjustment,if its taking up near or at the top of travel it wont be very smooth and it will almost certanly judderrrrrrr
regards malcolm
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Thanks for the various suggestions. I'll follow those up.

I am losing water slowly from somewhere, but haven't found where yet. Probably not into the bell housing, but you never know.
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)