to buy or not to buy?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

to buy or not to buy?

Post by DHallworth »

I am looking at buying a black Mk1 Citroen XM, it has full black leather interior, been converted to a 5 speed manual, just flew through its MOT today aswell.

Two problems.....

As mention in the wanted section.... The gear box is a bit dodgy, but i've got a guy to completely recon it for £150.

The second problem is, the guy who owns it just took it for its mot, after it been sitting for a while. On the way back from the MOT the engine management light started to intermitently flash, he says it still pulls really smoothly, not missing a beat or anything.

Is there anything you guys can think of that might of caused this light to flash?

Overall Price is £300 which also includes a set of 24v alloys.

David.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi David

Fancy meeting you here! I was going to say that I have just sold a 73k mile gearbox on e-bay for £36.00! But I have just realised yours is petrol, I tend to think that all XMs are diesel. Whats the problem with your gearbox?

Likewise with the engine management, the diesels of that year dont have one, that was when the penny dropped. Many management systems do seem to exhibit the problem that you have and still run OK, so I wouldn,t worry about it, espescially as its just passed the MOT.

It sounds cheap enough to take a chance on, does the gearbox job include removing and refitting? if so that sounds very cheap to me.

Peter.N.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

You are looking at it as a going concern not a parts donor?

Xm V6's are RARE to start with in any shape or size, and manual ones are EXCEPTIONALLY RARE versions of the V6 option!! Is the one you're thinking of buying a 12v or 24v?

The K engine light used to stay on intermittently on my 12v for a while after start up and then cleared up itself with no noticeable change in it's running/economy before or after.

Remember - these cars can be a bit of an old hyperchondriac with their warning lights and general electrics as they don't exactly have the best wiring & earths do they!?

Andrew
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

this one i am thinking of buying is a 12v that has been converted to a Manual.

I also have a 24v manual sitting up at the shed on a 91 H reg.

The gearbox screels like a cat in first and second gear, then once in third, fourth and fifth, it is fine. The £150 is with me removing the gearbox.

Regards
David.