Bleeding Hydraulics on XM 2.1td(mark 1)with ABS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robbocop33

Bleeding Hydraulics on XM 2.1td(mark 1)with ABS

Post by robbocop33 »

Hi,i want to bleed the whole system after i fit a new accumulator sphere today.Can i bleed it all from the pressure release screw at the front or can i bleed all the brakes through the bleed nipples on all the calipers as well.Also does the ABS block come into play here at all when bleeding the brakes?I've bled brakes on normal cars hundreds of times before i just want to be sure i do this right.
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Yes you bleed them using the nipples on the calipers, but there is no need to do any foot down-tighten bleed screw- foot up-slacken-down etc like you do with a normal car. Just stick a foot (or a brick) on the brake pedal, slacken the bleed screw, wait for no more air, tighten, job done. This is how I once did a Xantia without ABS anyway.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

No need to bleed anything on a BX if the accumulator is changed. Pressure relief screw is already slackened, fit sphere, start engine and wait while LHM is pumped back to the reservoir and let it run for 30 secs or so to clear bubbles and ensure pump is primed. Tighten relief screw - job done. Bit of Citrpoebics won't hurt.

I don't see why it isn't the same on an XM.
jeremy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

It is the same on the XM - but shifting the LHM in the brake lines after 12 years isn't such a bad idea anyway. The ABS has no effect unless the car is rolling at more than 3 kph.

//NiSk