Xantia O/S driveshaft

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

madmaz

Xantia O/S driveshaft

Post by madmaz »

Hi, does anyone have experience of changing xantia o/s driveshafts? I have my xantia in bits at the moment but havnt managed to pull the driveshaft out as the intermediate bearing seems to be stuck in its housing. Has anyone had this problem before? ive tried hitting it on the msall flange just inbourd of the bearing but it doesnt want to know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Maz
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, they do stick. First make sure that the retaining bolts are clear as they can drop back into locked position again. If you get a good large pair of mole grips tightly on the shaft between the gearbox and bearing, you have then got something to hit, that you can apply a bit of force to.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

These bearings can corrode in solid. It often takes a lot of heavy blows to shift it, which can ruin the bearing.

In very serious cases the gearbox may have to be taken off so that you can hit the end of the driveshaft square on and get the bearing out.
This is not a signature.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i allways remove the nuts completly then drift the shaft out by drifting against the coler gear box side of intermediate bearing,also before drifting remove outer end of driveshaft from hub
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

fastandfurryous wrote:These bearings can corrode in solid. It often takes a lot of heavy blows to shift it, which can ruin the bearing.

In very serious cases the gearbox may have to be taken off so that you can hit the end of the driveshaft square on and get the bearing out.
Naaahh ...
Its not THAT bad f&f. Eventually the bearing will shift as the housing is alloy and thus quite soft.
But you WILL have to replace the bearing then as it will be ruined by the violent blowing and punching.
I've had a really bad try on my CX once - as I did not want to damage the bearing. Silly me :oops: A new bearing was only some £4 at the time.
These days on my BX'es I just give the bearing some really good blows with chisel and hammer until its out. Then replace it as a matter of course.

BTW : The bearing is industry type 6006. Get the best sealed type you can find around. The old locking collar can be reused.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

if it does not come out hitting it,take the hole housing of from the back of the engine block and pop to your dealer and ask them to press it out for you :wink:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

pugxpert wrote:if it does not come out hitting it,take the hole housing of from the back of the engine block and pop to your dealer and ask them to press it out for you :wink:
Not good. You can not remove the housing with axle & bearing left inside - as the axle can not angle out from the diff enough to allow clearing the locating pins in the housing. Dont ask me how I know :oops:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

yeah your right sorry forgot about the dowls!! friend of mine done it on a 406 but forgot he had gearbox out already :oops: