Xantia rear spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

splat2

Xantia rear spheres

Post by splat2 »

I changed my front spheres at the weekend no problem. Moved onto the rears - suspension on high, clamped the tool on and tried to turn one of the spheres a bit before depressurising. The sphere turned all right - but so did whatever it is screwed into (ie the hydraulic pipework rotated with the sphere, and no, I wasn't undoing the anti sink sphere by mistake)!

What am I doing wrong?
'97 Xantia TD 170k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Short answer - nothing. The sphere is obviously very tight. I can only suggest that you attack it with a cold chisel and heavy hammer. Put the chisel on the seam around the middle at as shallow an angle that will allow it to grip and give it a good hard clout, anti clockwise, the shock should loosen it, several applications may be necessary.
splat2

Post by splat2 »

Ok, I've done what I should have done before posting and searched. It appears the standard technique to get round this problem is to load the entire family into the boot to increase the pressure.

I'd really rather not start hitting things with a hammer and chisel as my success rate with such techniques is quite low, usually resulting in broken car and/or broken me.
'97 Xantia TD 170k
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

The system must be under full pressure at its maximum hight to stop the brake valve rotating. I then jack up the car (with stands) and leave the engine running. Then use your removal tool, the brake valve should stay put and the sphere will release. I have sometimes used a long jack handle when they are really stuck.
Cheers!
John
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Family in the boot is the tried and tested :) back end up on ramps, any height setting apart from the lowest really you need weight in there to prevent the susp cylinder from turning or you will be down the dealer buying pipes, once the spheres have cracked you need to lower the car onto its stops then its simply a matter of unscrewing the old ones, the o rings should be fitted into the register in the cylinder end, screw the new spheres on hand tight
If the spheres are still tight then the hammer and chisel method does work, theres a ridge around the "equator" of the sphere, make a start there and give it a few good bangs
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.