Coolant Filter

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Coolant Filter

Post by fastandfurryous »

Several years ago, I read an advert for an in-line coolant filter, made of a fine gauze that fitted into one of the hoses. Didn't think much of it at the time, but having seen the amount of silt, scale and rust flecks that had accumulated in the bottom of my heater matrix, I'm beginning to think they might be a rather good idea.

Now that I want one, of course I can't find any reference to them anywhere, and can't find anything similar on the net.

Has anyone seen a similar sort of thing, or know if there is a fuel filter large enough to accommodate 5/8" heater hose? Having just had a 405 facia off for the second time, I REALLY don't want to be doing it again in the near future.
This is not a signature.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

I thought someone on the net had managed to replace a few of these 405 heater matrix without removing the dash?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

It is possible to do a 405 heater matrix without removing the facia, but the modifications you have to do to the facia are rather nasty (cutting etc), so I would rather remove it. I can get the facia off in 40 minutes now, and back on in an hour, so it's not as bad as it could be.

I also wanted to remove the facia this last time, as I've made a fairly major modification to the heater box, allowing me to have warm air through the foot vents and cold air up the windscreen, meaning that on a long journey you stay warm but don't get drowsy from warm air around your head.

All cars used to be able to do this.... seems a bit of a retrograde step that you can't anymore.
This is not a signature.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I remember the thing you're talking about- I recall seeing it in Car Mechanics a few years ago. I found this page on the web http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/CoolantFilters.html- they still seem to be available in America, they mention 2 or 3 manufacturers, and there's also a home-made one.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Brilliant! that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. (and I'm marginally annoyed my search didn't find that page!)

The stuff that came out of my heater matrix looks a lot like the very last picture on that page. Maybe not quite as much as that, but looks the same. Doesn't say much for the condition of the water jacket of my engine, but at least with decent quality coolant in it now, it won't get any worse.
This is not a signature.
Sturdybloke

filter

Post by Sturdybloke »

Looks like a good idea. Especially after the mess that I have just scooped out of the XUD in my mums Rover. Long, long overdue for a coolant change - the reason that the HG has recently let go :roll: (and I blame myself for not checking it as my parents know knaff all about cars). -Anthony.