Xantia Stub axle on trailing arms

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Xantia Stub axle on trailing arms

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,

Has anyone managed to fit new/reconditioned trailing arms to the rear of their Xantia before,and therefore had to change over their original 'stub axle' to the new/recon trailing arm?
I ask this because I'm going to do this very soon,but from what the haynes BOL says ,it says its almost impossible NOT to destroy the stub axle bearing(s) in the removal of the stub axle.Is this true as I need to re fit the original stub axle to the new trailing arm and from what I can gather taking out the old stub axle bearing and replacing with anew one is not an easy task. :? I have the relevant pullers to do the task but but was wondering if the BOL was.....lying..!
Just in case someone asks about replacing the original trailing arms with a bearing kit to save myself the hassle with the stub axle,I'm afraid I dont have the luxury of laying up the Xantia for a day or two and running a spare car at the moment,(plus a lack of a welder and other gear)plus I use the Xantia every day doing 120 miles + so I need the car like ..Yesterday.
God knows what a garage will charge and also I would like to tackle the job myself for my own satisfaction in as short a time as humanly possible.I know it sounds like I want the earth moved for me ,but thats the way it is.
So...any help wth this question and I'd be much obliged to you kind folk.
Thanks in advance to your replies.
Steve.
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Never tried it, but I suspect that changing the stub axle would take as long as doing the whole trailing arm.
If you're reasonably competent, you can do the latter in a couple of hours or so. As usual, it's not necessary to remove all the bits the BOL tells you.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usualy a recon rear arm will come with the stub axle still fitted,you will normaly have to swop the rear hubs and bearings over from the old arms
regards malcolm
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Just to let you know the trailing arms I bought from GSF didn't have the stub axles fitted to them so I assume they naturally dont provide them with the said arm.Wish they did ,would save me some time and work :?

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats most odd as BX reconed arms from GSF come with the stub axel still fitted,so if yours are reconed i am supprised that the reconditioner removed the stub axel.i also know of the company that used to recon rear arms and supply ANDYSPARES with them,maybe yours are brand new have they got the bearings in
regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps
would it not be easyer to buy a pair of second hand arms from breakers,and then fit arm kits to them,that way you can keep the car on the road untill your ready
regards malcolm
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

The trailing arms I bought definitely have the bearings fitted inside the arms and are covered for their protection.
Your probably correct Malcom,it may be easier to obtain spare arms from a scrappy and do it the way you said.I'll have to suck it and see for now
Thanks for your replies :) Steve