heater matrix, stop light, 1 fan.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrissib

heater matrix, stop light, 1 fan.

Post by chrissib »

OK, not very good at this. replied to thread but cant find it now, so starting new topic in the hope i can keep track.
Got a xantia hdi sx 2000 with A/C.
3 problems probably all related.
1 dasboard warning stop light comes on and flashes whenever i use A/C or direct blower to screen. Viewed very helpful diagram and this maybe related to..

2 ...only 1 fan working, tried to find fan control sensor to pull off, suggested on forum, but cant find it. looked on stat housing, nothing there.
can anyone suggest where it is on my car.

3 no heat to footwells. suggested heater matrix from forum, crud at bottom, but facia looks different to suggestions. bit worried may not be able to get to it, only got a day to spare. anyone know how much professionals charge.

any suggestions appreciated, but not a great deal for my model, cant even get a haynes[for what it is worth].
Regards
Chrissib
xantia HDI sx 2000 1999
Suffolk, England
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

PRICE

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Hi I too have similar problems to you on my HDI SX 2000 found passenger carpet very wet and also back passenger footwell damp. my stop light is also coming on with the light on the temperature gauge flashing in sequence when i use auto or the heater and all my bulbs have blown on the heater assembly possibly down to damp. I dont know if my matrix has gone or maybe a split pipe..but i contacted a local citroen dealer today and to replace the matrix they quoted me about 8 hours labour approx £400 + parts .......any ideas from anyone regarding how to check if its the matrix which has gone or hopefully a split pipe would be very much appreciated and with the quote i think it will be a long winded job for me to do.....Colin
CURRENT CARS:-
2019 CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 110BHP MANUAL (WIFES CAR)
2020 CITROEN AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 130BHP AUTO (MY CAR)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Both fans always have to do the same thing, so if only one runs, would need to know if it's at the high or the low speed.

As for the matrix leak, it may be one of the hose connecting ends that leaks, meaning dash out, unless you bypass the matrix from under the bonnet, not a good idea in winter.

Both posts' air con problems look like an air con overload indication fault, or more likely a dirty air con pressure sensor switch, on the black dryer bottle behind the top of the radiator.

Plenty of ideas here, the Peugeot threads often also apply to Citroëns:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 88cad688b0
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Fan relays in front / center of fans in triangular box, start looking there for bad connections.

Dave
chrissib

Post by chrissib »

thanks for the info

dont think its a heater matrix leaking as the water is pure, not dirty, and no leak since winter. think its condensation in hot weather.

relays have been replaced but still only left fan as you look from front, is running. cannot find control sensor to short out (suggested test from forum for fans test)

can see black dryer bottle, but seems sealed, has a knob on it, looks like it would turn. is this what you mean?
Regards
Chrissib
xantia HDI sx 2000 1999
Suffolk, England
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

chrissib wrote:thanks for the info

dont think its a heater matrix leaking as the water is pure, not dirty, and no leak since winter. think its condensation in hot weather.
Could it be the drip tray leaking ? When operating the inside air conditioning radiator (evaporator ? I can never remember which is which :) ) gets extremely cold and forms condensation on it. This is normal, but it should be getting collected and piped out through the firewall to drip on the ground near the passengers side.
relays have been replaced but still only left fan as you look from front, is running. cannot find control sensor to short out (suggested test from forum for fans test)
Try running the fans directly from 12v to see if it is a faulty fan ? Apparently the fans are connected in series on low speed and in parallel on high speed. This means if one of the fans is faulty, both fans may not run in the slow mode, and cause overheating until the temperature reaches the high fan speed temperature when only one fan will come on. (And possibly a warning light if the air conditioning is running at the time)

Turning the air conditioning on should make both fans run at low speed all the time.
can see black dryer bottle, but seems sealed, has a knob on it, looks like it would turn. is this what you mean?
Don't turn it ! :lol: Yes it is sealed, and under pressure...if you turn it you will lose all the pressure in your air-con. You could try cleaning the contacts on the plug connected to it though.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

I know they're not always very helpful but I found the Haynes Manual (K reg to Y reg) Petrol and Diesel straight away at Halfords. They could probably order it for you. I wouldn't rely on their fault diagnosis though.

Good Luck

Dave
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The air conditioning probably won't work if the outside temperature is less than 4ºC.
More aircon ideas:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 81ab2afa15 2 pages
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389