Which H1 type - Headlamp bulb is best for a ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

Which H1 type - Headlamp bulb is best for a ZX

Post by sooty »

Ok.

My ZX has the twin headlamp setup using the H1 type bulb.

Which of these bulbs do you think is best.

All claiming to give 50% extra light at 55w.

Phillips : Vision Plus

Power Bulbs : Power Plus

Osram : Silver Star

What are your comments or do you know a better bulb besides using Rally 100w bulbs (off road).
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'd defintely go for either branded Philips or Osram. Both known to be premium goods.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I am using Phillips Vision Plus's in my ZX, with Philips White sidelights & 30% Brighter front fogs, much better.

Mail me if you need some bulbs as the guy I got mine from was very cheap. He does only Philips & Osram's tho.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I dont think that there is any actual difference in the light output of any of the bulbs, they are all rated at 55 watts and are the same type of lamp, the difference comes in their accuracy of construction, the more expensive proprietory ones give a better focused beam so that more of the light ends up on the road. Just dont buy cheap ones.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The Osrams made a massive difference to both the Picasso and the C5 in our family.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
p20

Post by p20 »

I've used the Philips Vision plus in an Astra and the Osram silverstars in the Xantia, both are superb and way, way better than normal headlight bulbs. Just depend on what is easiest to get your hands on.
Autoexpress tested them:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_te ... h1_50.html
307SW HDi 110
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Anyone remember that web based company mailing bulbs worldwide for a very low rate ?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

AndersDK wrote:Anyone remember that web based company mailing bulbs worldwide for a very low rate ?
www.powerbulbs.com/ ??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Kowalski wrote:
AndersDK wrote:Anyone remember that web based company mailing bulbs worldwide for a very low rate ?
www.powerbulbs.com/ ??
YUP - tx Kowalski :wink:
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Yes thats right and their H1 bulbs are all the same price @ £18.45 for 50% increase vision. But on offer, at present 'Buy a pair and get a pair free' with their own brand.

Thats why I asked the question for comments.
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Let me repeat : I'd definately go for either Osram or Philips.

No gold or blue disco street light filters here eating parts of the light output. Just as much as possible plain white light output. If you find the cost a bit high - then notice it is the bulbs classified as +50 (% output). The best you can get at rated legal wattage.

It's your choice if you wanna go unknown for ½ price.

About the illegal 100w bulbs : keep them away from any car you get. They require a modified feed circuit and lense - if you dont want the big reactor meltdown.
Any recently modern car is shaved down in performance on the lights switching, lights connectors and wiring to keep down weight & cost.
It is in fact often the case to get even less lights output with these bulbs overloading the standard car lights circuit. Often your lights switch or the connectors will melt down within the first week and set off a small fire.
In other words : you must re-wire the lights circuit using power relays if you wanna go illegal lights :roll:
But that may be a fantastic idea even using staadard legal bulbs as you will find the lights output increases a h..l of a lot :shock:

Never wondered why some headlight units has bulbed/melted up just over the bulb location ?
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Try Ebay at the moment for Silver Stars, i've just picked up some H1 fitments for my ZX, £15.99 including p&p, they turned up next day as well.

I'll let you know how I get on.
ZX TD Volcane 133k
Several bikes (for when the car don't go)
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. So when you do judge him, you will be a mile away and have his shoes.