Caught speeding DOH

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Caught speeding DOH

Post by paranoid »

Just got the letter of intention to prosecute, 10 mph over the limit
What sort of fine am I looking at :(

Is it still 3 points :?:
75 connes SE Cdti (nice, no really nice)
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

That's a shame, my own case is still pending -- -- :?

£60 plus 3 points seems to be the normal penalty. try posting the details on http://www.pepipoo.com/ :) they may be able to help and advise you.
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Doh! Im guessing it was a mobile one rather than a stationary camera. Did you see him at the time? My last one was £60 and 3 points taking my total to 6 with a lifetime total of 9, I hear once you get to 12 you get a prize :D - I dont know what Im smiling about :cry:

Apparently 50% of drivers have points on thier license now. In my immediate family its 75%, and 9 out of 10 cats prefer whiska's (but Im not sure about the last statistic).

James I cant believe yours is still ongoing, seems to have been ages.

Cheers

Paul
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

:D at whiskars
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Are radar detectors illegal in your country? You can save some money using one.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Did You Know

Post by soupy_sam »

According to research after I was flashed/clocked on the A5 near Bedford recently (but didn't receive a ticket), I found out that recent Government legislation changes following on from the Freedom of Information Act give access to speed camera offences registered within the last twelve months and is placed on a freely accessible website.

Did you know that every time you go even over a mile or so over the speed limit, it is registered and placed on the database? They only send a ticket if you are more than 10% plus 3 mph over, OR (and here is an interesting little known fact) if you receive over 20 "near misses". You can now check how many you have against your car's registered number.

Check this page: http://www.e-database.co.uk

The site will issue you with a login and password
Sam de Lessups from Coventry West Midlands England
Xantia 1.9 TD 1995 185000 this old girl went to sleep.

Picasso Exclusive 1.6 HDi 2005 29500
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

oscarloco wrote:Are radar detectors illegal in your country? You can save some money using one.
Radar detectors are legal in the UK, there are moves in progress to make them illegal but it hasn't happened yet. The problem with radar detectors is that they don't pick up the mobile cameras which are infra red / laser. Laser is more difficult to detect before the gun is actually pointed at you, once they're pointing the laser at you its really easy to detect but its too late. You do get scatter off the lasers when they're not pointed directly at you but detecting it is a bit hit and miss.

The whole points thing is why I stick to speed limits, I don't have any points, don't want any and if I get any it won't be for breaking a speed limit. Thats not to say that I don't drive more quickly than I should at times but when I do drive too quickly its well within the speed limits.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Hands up it was my own fault, two lane daul carriagway late at night, my only defence was the nubbin that was about 2 foot away from my towbar and I was trying to gat a bit of space.

Paranoid about this happening again :(

98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Ouch! that looks a bit painful!
Poor wee Citroen
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Nice one Soupy Sam...thought someone had cloned my registration!
Cheers!
John
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

[quote="paranoid"]Hands up it was my own fault, two lane daul carriagway late at night, my only defence was the nubbin that was about 2 foot away from my towbar and I was trying to gat a bit of space.

Paranoid about this happening again :(

[/quote

I wonder if you could use that to get you off - the fact that there was a car right up your backside basically pushing you out of the way - so you had to accelerate so you could move into the inside lane. I myself have had to do this before now. Maybe say you were in fear of a collision and therefore your life... - David Beckham got off his speeding charge when he was razzing about like a lunatic because he was in fear of his life.. why not you? Might be pushing the boundaries of realism a bit though. :roll:
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

If you get tailgated like that, and are really worried about being hit from behind, I usually find the best thing to do is to slow down.... Not using the brakes, just easing off. You get slower and slower until the dimwit behind you realises, and either backs off, or overtakes you.

I've done this many times to great effect. One of my biggest pet peeves is people tailgating.

It has to be said though, you have to be careful. The last complete tit who was tailgating me caught my wrath somewhat, and I slowed up a lot. He was boiling over with rage in his crappy little car for miles, (at the speed limit!) and when we finally had to stop at traffic lights, he got out ran up to my car and started shouting obscenities at me.....

Unfortunately for him, he was 5'5 and tiny. All I did was get out of my car and stand up, and he ran away like a girl.

It's this kind of person who REALLY shouldn't be on the road. 10mph over the speed limit isn't NECESSARILY dangerous. Driving like this twazzock definitely is.
This is not a signature.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Let me clear this up a bit, and I am not making excuses for myself three points really don't bother me to much :o

The fixed cam flashed me in New John st West in the newtown area of birmingham, where I was unfortunate to live for several years
I know from bitter experience that it doesn't do to aggrivate the locals, And err you could tell they were locals if you know what I mean :shock:

This was a week after Riot less than a mile up the road

Plus Wifes Mother was in the car and they really don't deserve that
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

James.UK wrote: £60 plus 3 points seems to be the normal penalty. try posting the details on http://www.pepipoo.com/ :) they may be able to help and advise you.
Yep, get across to Pepipoo and at least learn what your rights are (such as the right to a day in court :wink: ).

At the very least, refusing the fixed penalty stops your money going toward putting up more speed cameras. :twisted:
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

fastandfurryous wrote:If you get tailgated like that, and are really worried about being hit from behind, I usually find the best thing to do is to slow down.... Not using the brakes, just easing off. You get slower and slower until the dimwit behind you realises, and either backs off, or overtakes you.

I've done this many times to great effect. One of my biggest pet peeves is people tailgating.

It has to be said though, you have to be careful. The last complete tit who was tailgating me caught my wrath somewhat, and I slowed up a lot. He was boiling over with rage in his crappy little car for miles, (at the speed limit!) and when we finally had to stop at traffic lights, he got out ran up to my car and started shouting obscenities at me.....

Unfortunately for him, he was 5'5 and tiny. All I did was get out of my car and stand up, and he ran away like a girl.

It's this kind of person who REALLY shouldn't be on the road. 10mph over the speed limit isn't NECESSARILY dangerous. Driving like this twazzock definitely is.

I agree driving 10mph over the limit isn't necessarily dangerous, it's the standard of driving from people driving like complete and utter useless "twazzocks" that's more of a problem!

As for tailgating that is also one of my pet hates, it also makes me laugh when the person tailgating is trying it on with a pathetic little, or underpowered car !