ZX no glow light AGAIN!..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

ZX no glow light AGAIN!..

Post by James.UK »

Grrrr wanted to go out, turned the ignition on.. no glow light on dash = car failed to start.. :(

I phoned the garage that sorted it last week (they resoldered the relay-timer thingy) and they will come over in the morning to start the car so I can drive it to their place.. :(

He thinks a glow plug is shorting out? So intends to remove them and check, so I asked him to replace them all while they are out, no point it putting the old ones back, sods law sez they will pack up next week if i do that! :roll:

I have given the car a very stern talking too, as I do not want it giving ZX's a bad name. :shock: :(

Anyone got any other ideas?
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You think a diesel Tipo or Golf same age is much better :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It sounds as though the timer/relay needs replacing. They carry a very heavy current and the contacts can burn out.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Anders... Noooo I think the ZX 1.9D is the best car around. For its age, cost, comfort, reliability, economy, etc etc. I am very very impressed with the car :) I Could use a Granny with a toolbox (and a degree in mechanical engineering) now and then though. :wink: lol..

Hi Pete, I think you are probably right. :) I have asked them to get me another timer-relay, if the existing one proves to be ok the other will be a usefull spare.

BTW I drove up the Axminster bypass hill you mentioned a while back, early October I think it was when I passed that way. I was in the Mazda at the time, en route Paignton to Bridport. But as you said, I don't think many diesels would exactly fly up it!! :roll:

I will post again tomorrow, after we get the ZX into the workshop, and have run a few diagnostic tests.. :)
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've got a problem in that region on our ZX 1.9D - late 94. My problem is that the starter doesn't always operate. Curiously when the starter is operated with the headlights on the lights get brighter which suggests that the glowplug relay turns off the plugs while the starter operates.

While my problem may be in the motor I don't think it is and think its in a multiplug somewhere. The one under suspicion is a rather superior round one visible from inside the balck box in front of the strut. I took it to bits and found a bent pin and slight corrosion and initially things seemed better after re-assembly but I've had a couple of late starts - ie turn the key and the motor takes a couple of seconds to work.

Worth making sure the plug is clean inside!
jeremy
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Tried the battery to glow plug trick, and it worked a treat. :) I put a 4inch nail in the crocodile clip on my jump lead, held it on top of a glow plug nut with thick gardening gloves on, to avoid being burnt, for 5-6 seconds, then moved to the next nut, gave that a few seconds, tried the starter and bingo!! brrmmm away it went :)

I have driven the car to the garage and am now at home waiting to hear from them. :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"I put a 4inch nail in the crocodile clip on my jump lead, held it on top of a glow plug nut with thick gardening gloves on, to avoid being burnt"

Thanks for brightening my afternoon 8) I hope you took a picture!

Holding it against one nut for 10 seconds would have done, since all the plugs are joined together in parallel.
Richard W
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Rich, actually it wasn't as much fun as it sounds. :? nothing much happened, tiny spark was all.. :oops: I assumed the nail would get hot. But didn't check it! .. :roll:

If I ever have to do it again I will just do one plug.. Thanks :)

Edit..UPDATE.. They have tested the timer-relay and say the fault is on the circuit board, they have replaced it. :) They tested the glow plugs and said all 4 are in working order, but showing signs of wear on the ends.. Garage also said suppliers sent 4 new glow plugs, two of which were for another make of car.. DOHH :roll: .. The mistake wasn't found untill after the supplier had closed.. So car wont be ready untill tomorrow :(
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Nothing to add realy.. Car now has new glow plugs and timer-relay.. :)

Mike (Yorks) will no doubt be pleased to hear the ZX now proceeds in an orderly manner. lol.. :lol: