Help its cold

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nicho1120
My Cars:

Help its cold

Post by nicho1120 »

Can anyone help me please. I have a P reg saxo 1.1i. I currently have no heating. when i turn the switch there is nothing. when it gets to the third setting the interior light dims. the back window heater is working so don't think its the problem with the ignition switch.get heat but no blower. checked all the fuses and nothing found. any ideas please i'm freezing ??? :?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you say the lights dim when the fan is on full, but its not running, it must be drawing current so I would assume that either the motor has siezed or the fan has gone out of shape and jammed it.
nicho1120
My Cars:

Post by nicho1120 »

what should i check then ???
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

.... you should check if the fan is able to turn freely or not, and if not, whether it's the motor that has siezed, or if it's the blades that have jammed.
This is not a signature.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe you have sucked a pigeon in through the air intake,ha ha ha
regards malcolm
nicho1120
My Cars:

Post by nicho1120 »

how can i check the blades are able to move freely. sorry if it sounds a bit stupid but really am a novice to all this.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

nicho1120 wrote:how can I check the blades are able to move freely.
Check by hand if the fan moves freely.
Try to spin it by hand, and it should keep spinning a bit by itself.
If it's hard to spin, or is binding, or is stuck, then it will cause high current without spinning. Leaves could have got in, and blocking the free movement of the blades.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
nicho1120
My Cars:

Post by nicho1120 »

sorry but where will i locate the fan ???
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

nicho1120 wrote:Where will I locate the fan ?
Don't know about the Saxo, but usually above the passenger footwell, or low down the middle of the dash.
You may have to 'prompt' for someone who can specifically tell about the Saxo.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
nicho1120
My Cars:

Post by nicho1120 »

Could anybody assist me and help to find out where i will find the fan to test if it is working. Also is it easy to get to or not ???
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Considering the questions that you're asking, I would have said it's best for you to leave this job to someone who knows what they are doing. Getting to the fan blades and motor will undoubtedly require an amount of dismantling of both the trim of the car, and the mechanics of the heater. Possibly also some of the dashboard. The potential to damage bits of the car is fairly high.
This is not a signature.
nicho1120
My Cars:

Post by nicho1120 »

i have the haynes manual but the things that are being asked to be checked involve removing the whole of the dashboard. the reason i ask the questions is to see if there is any advice as to how to get to the fan e.t.c without taking out the whole dash. just need to eliminate what the problem is
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Erm to try and sum up, it seems as if the replies seem to be telling you that it is the 'heater blower motor' itself, obviously if you cant get access to it like you would easily be able to with a Xantia (jus remove the footwell carpet) but if the haynes is telling you that the only access to it is through the 'dash' and you need to start removing things then it may be worth you going to a garage and also be on the look out for a replacement 'heater blower motor', most likely from the scrapyard or even Fleabay.

If your able to get to the 'heater blower motor' yourself and you find that the blades rotate nice and easily then it would appear it hasnt seized and is most likely the transistors which are at fault just like a Xantia which is an amazingly common problem.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

nicho1120 wrote:sorry but where will i locate the fan ???
If you have the haynes manual for the car, then it should be fairly easy to find where the fan is. You also have wiring diagrams to be able to fault find the motor, and if you can get to the fan power connector, and have the pinouts, then you can flash 12v directly across the motor terminals to test it directly.

If the fan is located right behind the heater unit, then the chances are that the dash will have to come out to get to it. This is an involved process that will take at least two hours.
This is not a signature.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I wonder if i should take some sort of electrical course?

Since i dont know anything you just said fast :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(