Xsara Fan Blower All or nothing..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Xsara Fan Blower All or nothing..

Post by mattpc »

Other halfs Xsara Coupe has decided to be naughty. The fan either works on full blast or doesn't work at all if lower settings are selected. Any ideas please? :roll:
micitroen
My Cars:

fan

Post by micitroen »

Had this myself and because I didn't know any different had it done at a main dealers. Having found this site I'm sure it could have been done a different/cheaper way as the part is quite cheap but you pay for an hour or so main dealer labour. Apparently the fan control is like a volume control so in effect it works on full because thats the way it runs with the volume turned all the way up........or thats the way I understood it. I'm sure you can get it done cheaper but I paid £60 incl and I must admit it was worth it. Only one thing to add is; in my case I believe it was caused or at least hastened because the pollen filter hadn't been changed (to tell you the truth I didn't even know it had one!) When I finally found it, it was absolutely filthy, changed it, had the control done, sorted!
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 'volume control' or 'potentiometer' as applied to things other than radios, it unlikely to control the fan by itself, or it would have to be pretty big, it probably controls one or more transistors which actually do the regulating, so thats probably where the trouble lies.
fatboyslimfast

Post by fatboyslimfast »

It's the blower motor rheostat (non-A/C) or motor assembly (A/C only).