ZX TD Radiator bottom hose

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

ZX TD Radiator bottom hose

Post by wilkobob »

Just been carrying out a routine service on a friends car, and the cars had a new radiator at some point. There is no drain tap on the radiator, so only method of removing coolant is to remove bottom hose. Removed hose to find its been bodged together (had the stupid plastic clip holding it on) since the plastic clip is broken. It was held on with silicone sealant. How much is a new hose from citroen exactly, and how difficult are they to replace? Cas was only bought a few days ago, and its a bit of a pain as it cant be moved.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Stewert (oilyspanner) helped me to replace the rad on ZX Aura I had, :) getting the bottom hose back in was a real pain! I failed to generate enough push to get it back but fortunately Stewert managed to force it back in..

Points to think about... We could not get the pipe back in with the new "O" rings I bought, the rings were slightly bigger in cross section. :roll: fortunately we had not damaged the original so we re-used that.

My mech friend said he always took the bottom hose right off, and fitted it to the radiator out of the car, then fed the pipe back in as he put the rad back.. You may find that method easier.. And apparently they have a nasty habit of appearing to be firmly in place only to 'pop back off' after a few days if done in situ.,.. :oops: :(

Either way use plenty of lubricant as its a tight fit and not much room down there if you do it in situ.. :?

Good luck with it.. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

Last time I bought this particular hose (approx 18 months ago) it cost around £20.

Not too difficult to replace but made much easier if you can get the car up on a ramp as the hose has to thread through the inner wing, around the engine and up onto the back of the block.
1997 ZX SX 1.9TD 140k miles
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Good news......The hose from Dixon Citroen is £10 and the o-ring 60p..They never have any in stock so will take a few days to order.

The hose to radiator is easyish the hose to block is a little more difficult.

The Haynes manual has a step by step procedure.

Just a tip.......Put a little grease on the new O-ring it will fit/slide perfect.

Make sure you remember the wheel arch clips to hold it in place or the new hose will rub through after a few thousand miles.

Hope this is of help.
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Last time anyone told me about this hose, I was informed it cost in the region of £100 as it had the plastic bit on it. Im gonna go to scrappies tomorrow and see if its possible to get one, if not I guess it will be on order.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

What time you going to scrappies??????? as i will come along!!!!!!

But i have to be back home by 2.......

I was going to Citroen tomorrow morning (just off M18) to price and get one ordered!!!!

If it is indeed £10-20 then i shall be smiling, however fitting may be a different expression entirely
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Don't advise you you go to the breakers for this hose..Its not expensive.

You will only be buying an old hose and problem of a brittel plastic clamp could raise its ugly head.
If this hose comes loose at the radiator bottom,you will loose your water without knowing ,the temp will rise and your cylinder head will have warped.

Buy a new one mine has lasted 11 years before needing replacing.

Cheers
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The clips snap too easily if abused!. I've put 3 YES 3 on our 306 TD useing this STUPID idea!, Whats wrong with good ole push fit and hose clip!

I agree with removing the Rad to fit it and feed the other end through to the rear of the engine.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well on that note i shall get one ordered anyway!

Not to sure about its fitment though, does the clips come with the part???
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yes. Grease the O ring, push thehose in and TWIST the clips they then grab against the hose inlet on the rad ro hold it in place....

Good luck
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Great......had to pi*s about getting that same hose back on with the Xantia new radiator....we were both getting rather f****d off it and i started to question the citroen love

Yes i started questioning it

Im sorry!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well my brother in law got a quote from an independent garage and quoted him £81.18 inc VAT but without plastic clip and O-Ring

I went to the Citroen Garage (nr where i work) and have just gotten a price of £60 exc VAT, this doesnt come with the clip or the O-Ring

Rang a Citroen place nearer home, just off the M18 and was given a price of about £55 exc VAT....awaiting a phone call to confirm whether or not it comes with the plastic clip and O-Ring

I cant understand why the clip wouldnt be part of it
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well the 3rd place just got back to me

The hose
2 O-Rings and
2 Plastic clips (either end i imagine)

will be £67.01 hopefully thats inc VAT as i asked for it.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Mezuk. Sounds very expensive to me. :roll: I didn't see the end that fits onto the engine as we did mine in situ, but.. From what I remember.. the pipe clip is not removeable from the rad end? Neither could you put one on.

There is a flange on the rad that the clips 'fingers' go over, and twisting the plastic ring that is on the outside of the clip closes the fingers down behind that flange, pulls it tight, and locks the pipe in place. And I can't see any way that you could get the pipe to stay on without the clip?
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

According to pr.net, there are 2 different hoses:

95667383 (Up to RP 6170) 70.50
00001351W1 (Since RP 6171) 31.34

The ring seal is about £1, but if you have the earlier type, you need 2 seals as it appears the hose spilts at both the rad and water pump end. This type uses conventional jubilee clips at the water pump. The later type only has one fitting at each end, but appears to use a funny clip the at water pump end.

No clips are shown on either the hose pic or the radiator pic, so assume it comes with the pipe, not sure what the garage is offering...??
Richard W