Xantia diesel tuning??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

London luke

Xantia diesel tuning??

Post by London luke »

Anyone tried any of these tuning boxes or had a remap??

Might be interested . But so many out there I want to have soem reccomended !!

Cheers
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Hi Luke, which engine do you have?
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
London luke

Post by London luke »

1.9 turbo diesel. MK 2 sx

Engine Number CUCP603 ******

Interested in the "Smokier" bit !
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had mine boosted to 115 bhp & 185 lbft torque,from 90 bhp & 148 lbft.That was in May 02,now have 154k miles on it.Made a hell of a difference to aceleration & through the gears.Much better at pulling our caravan as well.Fuel economy remained the same at about 38-44mpg,depending on a/c etc.It did cost £385 from vanaaken.com,based in Bracnell.But the car was still worth about £4000 then,so it was worh it.Performance wise,it goes about the same as my Dad`s 406 HDI 110 estate.I expect its lost a bit of power now 3 or so years later.
Theres loads of info on tuning the XUD on here.Even DIY. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Before applying any tuning devices, make sure you know the condition of the cambelt and if possible the oil pressure. If you havn't had the belt replaced yourself, do it first - otherwise all your money won't last long. As always with TD's, stick rigidly to the intervals for oil and filter change and use a good quality oil of the correct grade.

//NiSk
p20

Post by p20 »

I know that quite a few people have tuned the 90bhp HDi. Anyone in the uk running a tuned 110bhp HDi?? I was quoted £225 for a remap, but didn't go ahead.
307SW HDi 110
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Hi
I remapped my Hdi...and the result is WOW!
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
London luke

Post by London luke »

Found out mines a none HDi so cannot be tuned?? :-(
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

The very first 1.9 engines where purely mechanical injection, but I believe that the newer 1.9 TD engines, just before the HDi have electronic management, hence can be electronically tuned!
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Your Xantia TD CAN be tuned using a tuning box. There are lots of them on the market - try and get hold of one from a reliable company and not the garbage on FleeBay. A reliable company will have examples of torque and power curves for a real vehicle on their website.

//NiSk
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

If its an older 1.9 TD then it can most definitely be tuned, :twisted: I have a tuned one myself, pm me with your email and I will attach an illustrated guide (PDF) do make sure that the motor is in good fettle regarding cambelts oil etc before you do it though.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
splat2

Post by splat2 »

NiSk wrote:Your Xantia TD CAN be tuned using a tuning box. There are lots of them on the market - try and get hold of one from a reliable company and not the garbage on FleeBay. A reliable company will have examples of torque and power curves for a real vehicle on their website.

//NiSk
As far as I understand the 97 on TDs have the Bosch AS3 pump with a sort of partial management system. I thought the ECU had some control over injection timing but no control over the amount of fuel injected, so I can't see how a 'tuning box' could be used?
'97 Xantia TD 170k
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

If the ECU controls the instant in time when injectors open and close, then it is enough to extend the "injector open" time to get more fuel injected.

On some high pressure pumps, you can force the pump to produce higher pressures, hence injecting more fuel.

Please note that in general injecting more fuel alone does not help a lot, you also need to re-adjust the injection advance, and throw in a high performance filter so that more air gets into the cylinders. One step further to improving performace would be to throw in more fuel at selected engine regimes, such as for example under full accelaration. This is sensed by the input manifold pressure variation.
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Rostami wrote:If the ECU controls the instant in time when injectors open and close,
Which, on a 1.9TD, it doesn't.

To tune a 1.9TD engine there are a number of things that have to be done:

Free-flow air filter, and improved pipework flow/diameter etc.
Increased boost pressure.
Various fuel pump adjustments to increase fuelling under different conditions.
Possibly a larger diameter exhaust pipe.

Having done all of these on the tattyest 405 1.9TD you ever saw, along with a larger and free-er flowing intercooler, it is entirely possible to do all these things yourself. The car went like the clappers, fuel economy was only affected if you drove it like a complete pillock all the time, and it even passed an MOT emissions test.

tuning boxes and remaps work only on cars with fully-computer-controlled injection systems. The "ecu" controlled 1.9TD engine is still mechanical injection, and the ECU only varies the injection timing a little bit. Personally I think the system was introduced to avoid the costly (in terms of time) and skilled process of timing the injection pump to the engine at the factory. Instead, you just slap the pump on the engine in roughly the right place, and let the electronics deal with it.
This is not a signature.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

London Luke,mines a 1.9 TD,not a HDI.It CAN be tuned :D .Although mine is a late 97 car,its still the "Mk 1" Xantia with mechanical set up & no ecu.
As said by Fastandfurryous.its was all done on the fuel pump etc.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k