BX advice

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

yangreen

BX advice

Post by yangreen »

Hi

Am tempted by a BX 19TRS auto currently advertised for £490. 120ishK miles. Aside from the usual stuff (ie rear arm bearings, green puddles and rust) anything I should be looking for?

MOT until Oct 06.

Isn't the TRS the one with the funny windows in the C pillar? Is the auto box generally reliable?

Ta

Ian
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I don't know much about the petrol motors or autoboxes, but regarding rust, there won't be much, but what there is will be in one or all of 3 possible places.

Nearside inner wing- theres a line of panel sealant there which lifts as it rusts underneath where the arch protector is attached to the arch. When it gets bad you can poke it out and see through.

There can also be rust in the bottom rear corners of the back door shuts, and the other favourite hidey-hole is around the hanger for the rear box.

None of it will be hard or expensive to patch provided you have a mig, but its always good to have a bargaining point, and £490.00 is a bit on the pricey side........!!!

How old is it? If its post 89/90 it will have the rust protected hydraulic pipes, but if its earlier and they haven't been done, bargain on having a real fun weekend!!! :twisted: :^o

Other than that, just start it up, make sure it comes up to height reasonably quickly and stays there, and corrects its height within a few seconds if you sit on the bonnet or in the boot.

It also shouldn't dive under braking- if it does then the rear brakes are probably not working- these can be tested by starting it from flat with your foot on the brake- you should be able to feel them holding the back down if they are working o.k., take your foot off and it will spring up. The accumulator shouldn't be ticking more than once every 30 seconds or so, either, once a minute is better. Easy to sort but its another bargaining point.... :)
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Thanks. It is E reg so pre 89-90. I'll only be interested if there is a nice history file anyway at that money and I'll be expecting to see big bills. Don't want to be paying them myself!

Ian
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You can also find rust just inside the tailgate and up the edges of the inner wing panel where it meets the C pillar. Also usual floor problems if its been allowed to get and stay wet.

Is this a Mk 1 car? - if so they don't seem to last as well as Mk 11's (body wise. This is just an observation but the Mk 11's seem to have lasted very well indeed.

There are some interesting articles from Alan S on auto fluids and the consequences of using the wrong ones.
jeremy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

If you have a BX or are considering a bx, then you REALLY should go visit the BX Club, www.bxclub.co.uk, while it only covers the one model theres a huge number of members and plenty of experience with all the models!

http://www.bxclub.co.uk
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I know, another forum! Many of my pals frequent it so I may toddle along.

Ian
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

It's a write off apparently - due to having a dent in the rear door! Shows you something about BX values!

Am feeling quite low at the moment and am even considering a Volvo 360GLT... :cry: :cry:
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Offer them fifty quid to take it off their hands....it is only an old E reg BX -most definately not worth £490.00, even if it was in the most pristine of fanatically polished concorse condition!!!
Mark Dunmore
My Cars:

Post by Mark Dunmore »

You could always buy that GTi Hurricane of mine that's surplus to requirements (and which I have yet to collect several weeks after having bought it!). It has quite a wad of "history"; I always think that a pile of bills with a car shows that it was quite expensive for the previous owner to run, and may prove likewise for the next...not exactly selling mine very well, am I?

Rust: inner wing to side seam as mentioned, but also take a look at boot floor; have known them to go there as late as "H" reg. (as in the white one!). Also bottom edge of sills. Hydraulics can be a pain, but it's often the rubber pipes on later ones. Valve stem seals can wear on XU petrol BXs.

145,000 miles and about seven years down the line, I could give you every reason for not owning a BX, but I find it very difficult to come up with an alternative to my TGD estate! It may prove expensive, but if you do happen upon a good 'un, you'll love it!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

A Hurricane? Sounds interesting. Still kicking myself for not buying Ian Fearn's old one when that was available. Seemed terrific value really while he went off on his 4x4 fetish!

Ian
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I now appear to be the owner of a BX 16 valve!

Ah, back to the world of hydro-Citroens! That means our fleet will be all Citroen - once the Ebay auction finishes for the Audi that is!

Pick it up tomorrow hopefully.

Ian
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

FANTASTIC NEWS IAN!!!!

I'm sure once you hit 4000rpm you wont ever want to go back!

That said i'm sticking with 8V GTi's. I think the power, although less, is in a much better place than the 16v's.

Yesterday i took my 4x4 offroading AND THEN through a ford, much to the amazement of the smug looking Discovery driver who had just been through!
1983 2CV6 Charleston 110k (Re-build in op!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo
1991 BX GTi 4x4
1989 BX GTi 4x4
1991 BX GTi Auto
1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Wow, a 4x4 being used as a 4x4! And it survived!!

Ah yes, the joys of that oomph above 4000rpm, it'll become addictive! Very tractable engine though which surprised me.

Ian
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Very tractable engine though which surprised me.
Thats very true, they are very capable of being pootled at 1500rpm in 3rd and 4th.......seems a waste though :-)

I could be tempted by Marks Hurricane (if you happen to spot this Mark)
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E