Another Xantia Stereo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Another Xantia Stereo

Post by mezuk04 »

Well im still on the prowl for a stereo for my 1996 Xantia which means it has to come out of the Mk1's so the steering wheel controls are still compatible.

Apparently this has steering wheel controls and ive asked if it has a black din connector at the rear for the use of a cd changer which he has replied as 'YES', he also states that it has come out of a 1995, am i ok to smile yet???

So my questions are:

Does this stereo (although it looks very similar to the others ive posted), have steering wheel controls????? and will it support a cd changer at the rear

(He is unable to provide a photo of the rear) :x

Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

NOOOOO - Don't do it!

That's the bottom spec Clarion. The one you need with CD control is a Blaupunkt and it has MODE on the top left corner - thees are only fiitted on the VSX of that time - a middle spec Blaupunkt that was fitted on SX's is also available just to confuse things and that has a trteble clef [IIRC!!] symbol on the top left instead.

As a quick giveaway, the decent spec ones have the display screen BELOW the tape slot - the boggo Clarion is the one you picture.

All the proper Xant radios have three black square din type multiplugs from which you will get steering wheel controls. Spend your hard earned carefully, there's some rubbish radios out there in ebayland, MAKE SURE IT'S GOT IT'S CORRECT CODE!!

Andrew
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

This is about the 7th one....and about half that say its got a rear din connector (LIARS).

You confirmed my suspicions, my stereo came out of an SX, so it defo has to come out of a VSX which is also what i was beginning to think

Many Thanks
samtronic
My Cars:

Post by samtronic »

I found some pictures of the Xantia radios:

http://xantiaclub.net/folders/radios.php

I got a Blaupunkt 4030 RDS (with CD-changer and steering wheel controls), and could post a picture of it if you want.

Søren A.M.
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Checked that link you posted...however that '4030' which is shown on the right, that has the external cd plug (at the front) if this is the case then their wont be a (proper) cd changer connection at the back,

If you could provide a photo that would be great!!!!!!!!!!!, however your Xantia is a 93 but im assuming yours must be A VSX model as mine is a 96 SX and all i had was the external cd output located on the front like the photo shows, which i removed since it didnt have a cd changer in the rear for a proper changer
samtronic
My Cars:

Post by samtronic »

As far as I know, both the 3030 RDS and 4030 RDS have CD input in the front, but the 4030 RDS ALSO have connector for a CD-changer.

I am not quite sure what model my Xantia is, I think it is a SX with some extras (a.o. CD-changer).

I'll post a picture when I get home tonight.

Søren A.M.
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Thanks very much...i want me wee steering wheel controls back but i also want a cd changer too
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

mezuk04 wrote:Checked that link you posted...however that '4030' which is shown on the right, that has the external cd plug (at the front) if this is the case then their wont be a (proper) cd changer connection at the back,

If you could provide a photo that would be great!!!!!!!!!!!, however your Xantia is a 93 but im assuming yours must be A VSX model as mine is a 96 SX and all i had was the external cd output located on the front like the photo shows, which i removed since it didnt have a cd changer in the rear for a proper changer
The Blaupunkt 4030 IS the ONE you want - poictured on the link posted - I couldn't remember this morning what the exact codes for them all were!

The jack in the front isn't really anything to do with the cd controller AND IS ANOTHER EXTRA FEATURE - the CD control is what the MODE function is for - you cycle between the CD/TAPE/RADIO selection and up down etc on the normal function buttons which will be controlled from the steering wheel function.

If there's one working for sensible money, GO FOR IT asap!!

Andrew
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Thanks all for the help!
I cant believe i havent found one yet at all anyway,
but if anyone ever gets hold of one that doesnt need it please let me know
samtronic
My Cars:

Post by samtronic »

Ok, here are a couple of pictures:

My 4030 RDS
The three System Audios in the user's manual
Note the only visual differences between the 3030 and the 4030 are the two buttons in the upper left.

Søren A.M.
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Right I finally know now, Eureka! as they say (hopefully ive spelled that correctly :oops: )

Well if you ever come across one let me know!!!

Thanks for all your help people's

Regards
Chris
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Hey all, yes im back again.

Well I have hopefully been able to source a stereo and cd changer out of a VSX!!!! :lol:

The spec is: Citroen Xantia VSX 2.0l 8v petrol automatic, M-plate 1995

Im assuming theirs absoutly nothing i need to worry about whether or not it will go in my car and work perfectly.

Just make sure it has a code, unfortuantly one snag.....it has a cassette that is stuck in (apparently it still plays cd's without a problem) and may be able to be coaxed out....still waiting if this is available...how much you guys think i should pay????

Regards
Chris
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The cassette problem's likely to be due to a perished or snapped belt - AFAIR, the eject mechanism is servoed from the drive system. Cheap and easy if you're used to this sort of work, but a very good negotiating point when buying :)
garden95921

Minimun wage

Post by garden95921 »

[quote="andmcit"][/quote]

I would definatly not pay more than minimum wage for advice like that.