Off topic? Rover 418 sLD (Pug 1769 TD) Why so slow?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avinit

Off topic? Rover 418 sLD (Pug 1769 TD) Why so slow?

Post by avinit »

I hope you don't mind me posting this here, but being experienced in the joys of the above engine in a BX I thought I might try out the rover estate given its legendary reliability.

Found a nice example which i can probably get for about 500 but this is the first i have driven and was dismayed by its low speed. It just lacked power and that sweet, willing power delivery of the BX. Why?

The car has been looked after i think (tho it did have an HG at 110k). Has now done 134 k.

It doesn't smoke.

Only done 2k in the past year, maybe its coked up?

Does it just need a new air filter and a good motorway run to breathe some life into it, or are they all this slow for some reason?

I know the rover is a heavier car, but my BX estate used to fly even with the seats down and half a tonne of luggage in the back!

Any clues? Will there be an easy fix, or is the car past it?

Who votes for a clogged up fuel filter as the main problem?

One thing, I couldnt hear the turbo atall.

Thanks!
Now got a 2002 Mondeo HDDI estate :-(

L reg TZD estate - Needed more love than i was willing to give !

H reg red TGD: 8,000 miles for 100 quid! 45-50mpg

H Reg BX TZD Est- 10,000 miles in a year for 200quid, 40 mpg - FAST as hell
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

did you have a butchers under the bonnet? There was an N/A version too. Was there a turbo at all?
French car free zone....
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

And if it has got a turbo - is the pipe connecting the high pressure air supply (pressurised after the turbo) to the extra fuel device on the injection pump sound or has it fallen off or split?
jeremy
paulbx
My Cars:

Slow Rover - wieght question

Post by paulbx »

Don't forget the BX is a very light car - with Plastic bonnet, Rear hatch and some plastic rear panels it may be at least 25% lighter than an all steel estate Rover.
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
j_roc

slug like Rover

Post by j_roc »

Hi there,
When I first bought my Rover I was curious about where all the power was (it felt like the N/A 1.9D), but it seems by some mystery when the XUD was installed into the Rover it "suddenly" de-tuned itself - even though its the same power output it feels different to the Bx/405 unit. I think that it comes down to two factors - 1. The extra weight of the 200/400 series over the Bx. 2. The gearing could be set up different, even though its the same box - the Rover is sold as a more of a motorway cruiser/fleet car so it could have taller gearing. The power does eventually come in (at 3000 rpm) and then the car takes off. Could be that yours needs a good service and a bloody good run to clean it out. Hope this helps - Alex.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there Alex, I had been searching this site for clues as to the lack of power above 3000 rpm on my 93 tdsx Xantia... Did the the filters, gave the thing an italian tune up that would have made Fangio wince, but no luck. It was when I was having a close look at the (Bosch) fuel pump and I noticed that the factory seal on the maximum fuel screw was not against the securing nut that I realized the previous owner -or his garage- had backed off the max fuel setting -probably for the MOT test. I loosened the securing nut and wound the screw back to the factory setting and have got the missing performance back.
I won't do that again