Xantia Heating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Xantia Heating

Post by mezuk04 »

For the past week and a half the heater controls dont exactly have much range at all, start the car up in the morning at full heat on the demister (Window) selection at full speed, come back to it 10 mins later and take it down to auto so its not loud and begin my journey, while the car is continuing to warm up i can still stick the heat at full temp for about 15 mins (Doing motorway driving) until it gets roasting, understandble, its on the red block sadly ive noticed after looks of tweaking i can nudge about 1 to the left and after that its cold so i have to nudge it a tiny bit back to the right for it to be hot air again.....messing about for a further 20 mins till i get home, it is still exactly the same if its changed to the footwell setting and the face setting all on auto and manual fan speeds..i cant seem to find a setting to really regulate the heat...its either roasting or cold.....thats it!

Any ideas
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its the same as the system in the XM it will only regulate the temperature up to 26 degrees and past that goes flat out, is it actually going cold or is it just trying to bring the temperature down? Try setting it at 26 or whatever the max temp displayed is, from cold and see if you get any heat.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ah, it's winter, so enter the tales of woe of Climate controlled Xantias that don't heat / heat too much! The cabin temperature sensor is in behind the alarm LED, and there's a fan in there which is supposed to suck air in over the sensor to tell the ECU what the cabin temperature is. Only the fan is s**t, and packs up, leaving the sensor telling the ECU what the temperature coming off the radio is! You need to replace the sensor - you could try getting one from a scrapper, but the chances are it will be in the same state as the one you've got - unless you can get a known good one. They're not THAT expensive from the dealer (about £40 I think). You might be able to lever the sensor out of the dash without disturbing anything else, but I found I had to take the radio and clock out to get in from behind the sensor and push it out.
Richard W
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Yes when i first bought the car their was a horrid droning noise coming from that, after some research we learnt that the led was also the temperature gauge so replaced it one with a scrappy.

If i were to replace it with a scrappy, is it just the little black plastic block that sits in the dash flush with all the other buttons (hazard, aircon) or is there a bit more further behind the dash i need to replace to???

I shall try the 26oC from cold startup tomorrow morning
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

mezuk04 wrote:is it just the little black plastic block that sits in the dash flush with all the other buttons (hazard, aircon) or is there a bit more further behind the dash I need to replace too???
You unclip the black plastic front part, and then the sensor and motor come out with it.
It's been a circus unclipping mine without breaking anything.
It's easiest from the right side with a blunt screwdriver.
It wasn't faulty, but noisy.
You can dangle it outside, hanging by the wires, to check where the noise comes from.
I put silicone wherever I could see joining surfaces on the metal of the motor, and it's been quiet since.
The sensor is probably not faulty, but dusty, and needing a clean with a brush.
You may be able to clean it by blowing into it from the outside, without taking it out.

When you properly :twisted: turn a street corner, especially to the left, the slight displacement of air inside the cabin will cause the fan to take in 'displaced' air of a different temperature, and in less than 5 seconds, will vary the temperature of the heated air.
That confirms that the system is sensitive, and working.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389