Xantia suspension and general advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

liam

Xantia suspension and general advice

Post by liam »

Hi,
I've been offered a friend's 1.8 16V Xantia for next to nothing, but since it's been parked up (9 months) the front suspension has become rock hard. The hydraulics are working well, car goes up and down smoothly and with minimal noise, so am I right in thinking the front spheres have lost their gas and need replacing? Also, can anyone tell me how many spheres there are on the car (it's a '96, non-Activa) and if any of the other ones might need replacing to rectify the hard front suspension? Next, the heater recirculate function is broken- anyone know how easy they are to fix? And finally, are there any specific problems I should look out for on the Xantia before buying?!
Thankyou very much!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There are probably 6 spheres on this car, one at each corner, an accumulator on the engine and an anti-sink sphere at the rear.

The heater recirculation control will have failed because the control operates by pulling and pushing a Bowden cable, and these cables do not work terribly well in the push mode, and it will now have a kink in it.

If you are careful, you can take the cover off of the control unit on the facia, and straighten the cable with a pair of pliers, but don't expect it to last long if the mechanism is stiff.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Bring the suspension to normal height and try to bounce each corner, any that dont bounce need the spheres replacing. Dont know much about the petrol ones, head gaskets go on the diesels. Check that the coolant is not being blown out of the header tank vent pipe. Otherwise, if it drives allright it is probably OK.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Xantia suspension and general advice

Post by Homer »

liam wrote: it's been parked up (9 months)
Since it has been stood it might not be the spheres.

Sticking struts can cause the ride to be hard as well.

In normal use they are lubricated with LHM. Try a long session of citaerobics first.
liam

Post by liam »

Thanks very much for all your advice! Looks like a couple of new spheres up front then, and some Citaerobics too, not to mention a bit of cable manipulation!