xm 2.1 stop solenoid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Matthew
My Cars:

xm 2.1 stop solenoid

Post by Matthew »

What is the voltage on stop solenoid. I undid injector line behind the pump and THERE WAS NO DIESEL coming out of there. Then I checked the voltage on solenoid with ignition on and i had only very small voltage (0.06 V) on the feed. Can i run direct feed from the battery to start the engine? This is lucas pump.
thanks Matthew
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is this car fitted with an immobiliser?

As far as I know stop solenoid operates at 12 volts - so can be jumped. Its probably best to disconnect it so you don't feed 12 volts into the back of the immobiliser which mnight damage it.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, I can confirm that the solonoid should have 12 volts on it. There is an emergency fuel cutout at the top of the o/s strut, check that it hasnt tripped.
Matthew
My Cars:

Post by Matthew »

I energised the solenoid directly from the batery and the car started ok. However i must say the electrics are in very poor condition. How difficult is rewiring the lot?
Thank You for replies
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Matthew - I think if you are asking the question the answer is 'Impossible'

Probably there's nothing wrong with the wiring itself. Early XM's have problems but they are usually confined to the connectors and junctions and a good clean up and careful inspection may work wonders. Something like a contact cleaner as sold by Maplins may help.
jeremy
Matthew
My Cars:

Post by Matthew »

Thanks. Then I am not going to rewire it.
Next question is: where is coolant fan motor thermo switch located, I presume on the thermostad housing. Secondly If the above is true, I have conector on thermoswitch but on both side of it there are 2 other sensors screwed into the housing but without conectors (ques the connectors are snapped) \\\\is this important?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

One will be the over temperature warning light and the other the cooling fan switch, I think! It isn't actually the thermostat housing as the thermostat is in the return pipe at the back of the engine.