Heater control bulbs - Citroën ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

janneman63
My Cars:

Heater control bulbs - Citroën ZX

Post by janneman63 »

The lights on my heater control and the one for the cigarette lighter weren't working. So I took it all apart and changed the bulbs. The cigarette lighter works fine now, but the bulbs for the heater controls are still not working! :(
I have checked the fuses, nothing wrong there. So is there somewhere else I could check? Or some alternative to light up these controls?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had problems with the bulbs not fitting in the holders very well and found by re-arranging the wire contacts I could get them to work!

Lighter is on sidelight circuit I think not ignition so its unlikely to be switch or supply.
jeremy
janneman63
My Cars:

Post by janneman63 »

jeremy wrote:I had problems with the bulbs not fitting in the holders very well and found by re-arranging the wire contacts I could get them to work!

Lighter is on sidelight circuit I think not ignition so its unlikely to be switch or supply.
*heavy sigh*...I'm not very keen to start tampering with all these wires at the back of the controls...and especially not take apart the central console once more. Not a difficult job I thought, but time consuming... :roll:
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

are all of the bulbs out?
2001 Xantia HDI 110, 50,000 miles
Near Beverley, E.Yorks.
janneman63
My Cars:

Post by janneman63 »

eskimoigloo wrote:are all of the bulbs out?
I could only locate two and they are both out. However, there are some empty sockets as well but they seem to just "empty voids".
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

From a switching point of view, al dash, heater, clock lights etc are all switched at the same time, so if you can't find a fault, just take a feed from something else instead on that circuit like the cig lighter or clock, just find which wire gives a voltage when side lights are turned on, and not at any other time...... usually the quickest way, and you won't melt anything as they're only low wattage.
Near Beverley, E.Yorks.
janneman63
My Cars:

Post by janneman63 »

eskimoigloo wrote:From a switching point of view, al dash, heater, clock lights etc are all switched at the same time, so if you can't find a fault, just take a feed from something else instead on that circuit like the cig lighter or clock, just find which wire gives a voltage when side lights are turned on, and not at any other time...... usually the quickest way, and you won't melt anything as they're only low wattage.
Good advice...the "only" problem then is to locate the wire that feeds these bulbs with electricity
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

Just get your volt meter attached to a good earth, then try the other end on the wires behind the cig lighter (easiest to get behind) whilst switching lights on and off, and see which one gives a reading in time with your switching!

Chris.
Near Beverley, E.Yorks.
janneman63
My Cars:

Post by janneman63 »

eskimoigloo wrote:Just get your volt meter attached to a good earth, then try the other end on the wires behind the cig lighter (easiest to get behind) whilst switching lights on and off, and see which one gives a reading in time with your switching!

Chris.
Thanks for all good advice :)
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

if you have to take it all apart again, why not just replace the bulbs with LED's the old man did this on his old ZX, he used white (i'd have used green) it made the emblems like a minty green colour but he never replaced a bulb again - he even did the speedo.
Mine *touch wood* are all still working or I'd have swapped mine too.

Infact he might sell the controls if your interested, he wrote the car off months ago.
janneman63
My Cars:

Post by janneman63 »

rossnunn wrote:if you have to take it all apart again, why not just replace the bulbs with LED's the old man did this on his old ZX, he used white (i'd have used green) it made the emblems like a minty green colour but he never replaced a bulb again - he even did the speedo.
Mine *touch wood* are all still working or I'd have swapped mine too.
Infact he might sell the controls if your interested, he wrote the car off months ago.
I would do this myself, but being somewhat of an "electrical moron" I am not quite sure how this is done ;D
So either please give me some basic "how-to-do"-instructions (the space behind the controls seems rather small to fit anything else that what is already there!) or tell me how much he would like for his LED-solution (including p&p).
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

ok I'll get you a price, it may be a few days tho cos he's in Portugal in the nice warm sun - lucky bugger