Xantia Warning lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonnyboy66uk

Xantia Warning lights

Post by jonnyboy66uk »

On my N plate xantia vsx the stop light has just started to intermittently flicker, it has only started since the cold weather has set in.

Once on it will stay on on for 10 secs but then go out again, then about ten secs later it will start to flicker before coming on properly again.

Anybody got any ideas whats wrong?

jon
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

The brake light switch is mounted underneath the brake pedal rubber. Try disconnecting this and see whether the problem ceases. Otherwise you may have a chafed or corroded wire that is shorting to earth but this is more difficult to find.

If other rear lights come on at the same time then it could be a bad earth in the lamp cluster.

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

STOP light is NOT brake lights as assumed by RichG!

I only know the BX hydraulics so wait for an Xantia expert. I assume thay you have checked the fluid under the correct conditions?

In the BX the STOP indicator is also tied in to the coolant level monitor.
88 BX 1.7 Diesel Turbo now gone
PICASSO 1.6 HDi 92 - time will tell!
83 TR7 conv never welded yet!
96 Fiesta 1.25 x 2
87 VW GTI waiting cam belt (no time)

www.cyanic.co.uk
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Don't know much about xantias but if its like a BX the hydraulic warning light functions on 2 sensors - hydraulic pressure and LHM level. When it comes on it also lights the stop light as does the oil pressure light and the higher of the 2 temperature warning lights.

First - check the LHM level.
jeremy
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

As per last post above, the stop light always comes on with at least one other warning light.
The most common stunt on the Xantia is for the 'STOP' light and the 'overheat' light inside the temperature gauge to come on at the same time for no good reason.
The fault will also sometimes cause the cooling fans to come on at the high speed for no reason.
If that's the fault, there are previous threads on the subject.
I don't find any now, but a search of 'cooling fans' and 'Bitron' should turn up something useful.
If the car has air conditioning, VSX, it is more likely to have this fault.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You have another thread on flat spheres ?
If your main accumulator sphere is flat, my bet this is the cause for the STOP light flickering.
Please note WHICH other warning light(s) comes on together with the STOP light. Then you have diagnosed the system at fault.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I had the 'STOP' light come on on me when i first started the car in the morning probably a few weeks ago first thing in the morning, slightly concerned so didnt want to drive while it was staring at me so brightly, i just put the suspension up on 'highest' waited and the light went out, came back down to normal ride height and set off without any further problems what so ever.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I've noticed in our spare Xantia that since its got cold the STOP light seems to take longer to go out of a morning, not ages 4 seconds at most, I put it down to being vvvv cold! bbrrrr
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check first the LHM level, if this is OK check the hydraulic pump belt for tension, if thats OK and it is low hydraulic pressure thats causing the problem, it could be that the pump is worn as this will show up much more at low temperatures when the fluid is thicker.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I think you will find that everything is okay on your car. My STOP light sometimes does that too. I put it down to pressurising the system and then once it has pumped through some LHM the system pressure dropping and the repressurising again. The light going out first time is a false flash if you see what I mean.

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,