it has happened (zx td head gasket)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stubbsy

it has happened (zx td head gasket)

Post by stubbsy »

well yes it has happened.my own fault really runnin 20 psi(turned up last week from 18) but sure. any way,wot is the best gasket to use for replacement? ive got a very understanding friend who is gonna do it for £150 plus me payin for the parts which is pretty god dam good,(espeacially comin up to xmas and i work nite shift so cant really get into sortin it out myself)i havnt cooked it ,just noticed it pressurising the top hose wif some bubbles when the rad cap is off so thought i would nip it in the bud now.got the old dye test done and it wasnt bad but it IS gone.the blue dye just about turned to green.wot gasket is the best to use,metal i pressume,
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

donno on what HG type is the best. I presume as you do that the metal type is best.
Note that you HAVE in fact cooked the head as this is the reason the HG is gone. The head has simply gone out of true because of the harder load with higher temp hot spots. Thats exactly what happens - always.
Meaning you can forget about doing the HG job if you dont get the head milled back to true again. New HG wont last a week otherwise.

There is always a reason why fun ride is costly :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

anders come on :shock: do you realy think i wouldnt do a skim and crack test :roll: :roll: :roll: ,when i said cook i ment COOKED its blowing a few bubbles and a slight preasure of hoses (hence gettin it sorted now before it gets worse)i used to be in the motor trade,but now build aircraft :lol: ,i havnt got the time to sort out as i work nite shift so i think that me mate chargin £150 lab is quite a good deal,infact an excellent deal (i would be lookin twice that to do for anyone) :cry: :cry:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

just buy the normal one from GSF for your car,usualy they sell melior,i have used there gaskets for quite a few years on my customers cars,and never had a problem
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

When I recently fitted a new head gasket to my XM, GSF apparrantly dont do one for the Mk2 so I had to get one from Citroen, it was expensive but looks almost indestructable, it appears to be laminated steel, looks like a set of feeler gauges, much heavier than your normal HG. The call it a 'repair gasket'. The only come in one thickness, presumably to allow for skimming the head, so may lower the compression ratio a little but thats not a bad thing if you are deliberatly trying to blow the engine up!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

If your running over boost and doing lots of tinkering then you want to go for a Payen gasket! There about the same as the Meillor and all the engine speciallists i've been to ALL recommend the Payen gaskets and gasket sets. Pesonally i use the multilayer metal gasket as i've been told these are the daddys donglies when your upping the boost etc, the only advice is that you HAVE to get the torqueing totally spot on when you come to bolt the bugger down!

I had my head totally rebuild recently and it didnt half set me back a pretty penny and while theres loads of other faults on the car, the engine sounds absolutley amazing!