C5 hydraulic suspension pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c5chitty

C5 hydraulic suspension pump

Post by c5chitty »

The suspension on my C5 sank recently so I rushed it to a main dealer. The dealer diagnosed faults on the height sensor so I agreed to let them replace first the front, then the rear sensor which, you guessed didn't fix the problem. They eventually diagnosed that the hydraulic pump (£800 or more to replace) was at fault which they could have done a simple test on before running up a bill for me, the same old dealer trap!. Anyhow I thought I could fix it and took the car away from them. I drained the hydraulic system to remove the pump and have a look. There is an electric motor that drives the pump and after stripping it down, found a corroded wire on the stator plate right next to a ventillation hole on the motor, moisture had done its job. A nifty bit of soldering re-assembly and re-sealing solved it and after only taking approx 3 hours total work, the car was back on the road....Don't get stung by dealers who it has been known play on peoples ignorance! Alway get a written quote for work if you can or take along someone who knows a bit about motors.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Why do Citroën never learn?
This sounds like the age-old fault on the XM LH electric window lift. The motor has a ventilation hole close to the brushes, on the LH side, its facing UP!! (and of course gets soaked from water entering the down the side of the window). On the RH side, it faces down and I've never heard of one giving trouble!

If it wasn't for the phenominal ride quality, I'd give up.

//NiSk