405 1.9D cooling system problem.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dymchurch405

405 1.9D cooling system problem.

Post by dymchurch405 »

Ok i've had this problem now since i practically got the car. Its done 5k miles with these symptoms and now the weather is heading for the worse i would like to get it sorted once and for all.

Basically once bled and flushed, the car will eventually lose water after around 1000 miles, going just below the low coolant level.

If i top up, eventually i always get an airlock which accelerates the problem and takes me back to square one.

Initially i thought it to be a leaky heater matrix but after bypassing it theres still a puddle on the floor but its now turned out to be a leaky door seal.

I am reluctant to say head gasket because its been 'apparentlly' been done before at 150K (car now on 195K), and also i would not expect to last 5K miles with a knackered HG.

Thermostat works fine (tested), the fans wired in so its always on and even with low coolant the temperature stays quite happily below half way on the gauge.

I still get air in the system somehow, and lose coolant coming off the motorway!

Anyone got any suggestions ?

Cheers!
'91 405- catastrophic failure. Gone.
'95 Xantia TD- Gone.
'95 Xantia TD- Gone.
'00 Xantia TD Auto- Gone
'95 Xantia TD- Gone

'88 Celica GT4 (expensive)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Yes, sorry, this is indeed head gasket. The 1.9D engine can fail it's head gasket very very slowly, giving exactly the symptoms you've described.

I once had a head gasket fail on a 405 1.9D and it took 15k miles to completely fail.

It could well have failed just 45k miles after being "done", it depends entirely on how well it was "done" before. If the person who did it skimped and didn't skim the head, then 45k is a fairly good lifetime.
This is not a signature.