Fuel Gauge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pikecrazy
My Cars:

Fuel Gauge

Post by pikecrazy »

When the ignition is switched on the fuel needle seems to be going up and down erratically.

Any ideas :?:
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I dont know about these modern cars but in the olden days there was a variable resistor in the tank connected to a float and the resistor became 'noisey' intermittently making contact. There also used to be a voltage regulator that supplied the gauges that could go intermittent...but as I say that was in the days when you could understand how cars worked!
RStacey
My Cars:

Post by RStacey »

Is it just the fuel guage or are there any other abnormal electrics?
1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
2003 C5 HDi SX
1995 Xantia 1.9TD
1994 Xantia 1.9D
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

RStacey wrote:Is it just the fuel guage or are there any other abnormal electrics?
Just the fuel gauge nothing else.....

It doesn't matter if it is stood still or moving it moves about 15mm up and down , it's really annoying me now :x

Anymore ideas ?
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
Roscoe
My Cars:

Post by Roscoe »

My BX TZD was doing that - the gauge going to full, then down to half and back to full, couldn't rely on it at all and finally it just bottomed out and wouldn't move. Pulled the sender out of the tank and the metallic eching on the circuit board had started to come off and was cauht on the float, so it couldn't move. I cleaned it up as best I could and it worked fine, but only down to a quarter tank and after that it wouldn't register as the foil was gone. Swapped it with the one from my parts car and it's 100% now. Not sure if the Xantia TD has the same sendor set up, but Haynes should show you where it is/how to remove it. If it is the same, has three wires from the plug on it - one is earth, the other two are the variable earth from the float and the 'empty' solid earth for the light on the fuel gauge. If you bridge across them or provide a solid earth, you will be able to see if the gauge goes to full and remains still.
cheers,
Roscoe
91 BX TZD
90 BX 16V (x2)
04 Peugeot 307
90 Mitsubishi Express Van (alpaca transport)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the BX and XANT are about the same in that department,under the rear seat base you will find two large plastic lids,under one is the sendor and the other is fuel pick up
regards malcolm
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Can you fill the tank from any of these. Would be quicker to fill from here with my veg oil, takes some time with a funnel.
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

gav425 wrote:Can you fill the tank from any of these. Would be quicker to fill from here with my veg oil, takes some time with a funnel.
No - unless you remove the tank sender unit - or the fuel pick-up & filter assembly. But I guess a quick glance here could give you some ideas for a modification to do this.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image