Hey Guys....Knowledge needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Hey Guys....Knowledge needed

Post by mezuk04 »

My brother in law is currently driving a : Rover 414 K-Reg 16valve sli with 130,000 odd miles on it.

His words

"i have to top up my water every few days, as i have a leak which i thought was the radiator. i did my last top up on sat. last night my temp gauge went to high as i was driving but the fan kicked in and it stabilised. this morning i checked my water level, it had dropped right down. i topped it up and drove wife (my sister) to work, it was ok. When i drove it this afternoon though, only a couple of miles, the temp gauge shot up to high again even with me filling up the radiator. My leak has been there since the summer but it has gradually got worse, my main worry is the temp overheating, i don't know exactly where the water is going as there is no wet on the ground. A new alternator was put on near 2 months now just mentioning it incase, and its felt chuggy since the alternator (around the same sort of time) but its much more noticable now."

Surely its likely to be gasket, but for the chuggy...not to sure myself, what to you lot reckon.

Regards
Chris & B.I.L.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

The 1.4 K series is renowned for eating head gaskets - teh problem is further enhanced by the fact the coolant system is only just enough for the engine - so any loss = overheating = trouble.

Is there any emulsion in the oil filler? Smoke through the exhaust?

It will get worse.

I would suggest searching any Rover car forums you can find as the 1.4 comes in two variants and can be awkward (expensive) to do the HG on.

Thats the limit of my knowledge Im afraid - French cars being more my thang! :wink:
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Sounds like head gasket to me, any mayo in the oil or has he not checked?

With the K-series as soon as you see a rise in temp you should not drive untill you've had it looked at. i.e. Stop straight away as the heads warp easy and could end up costing you a lot more wedge.

A good site to go to is www.mg-rover.org - they know their stuff on the k-series over there but sounds like HGF to me - the water has to have gone somewhere and if its not on the floor.....
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Marty beat me to it! :cry:
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

His reply:

"no noticable smoke in exhaust, no mayo in oil"

We also think its HGF but wanted to know if their were any other viable options, i certainly dont think its a leak in radiator so that order shall be cancelled now as it would be on the floor.

If it is HGF then it looks as if he will be replacing the car, wonder if its worth much as parts/spares?
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Water pump is common failure on them (and one of the main hgf causes) but if it was that you should see some water somewhere I would think.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Leaking waterpumps can be difficult to trace as often they will hold water until there is some pressure then they dump it. If there has been a leak for some time there may be a rusty stain or traces of dried antifreeze. Sometimes you can find that its wet under the spindle.

I have no idea where the pump is on a K series so don't know how difficult it is to get a good look at.

Often I have been able to continue dirving with a leaky pump by depressurising the rad by leaving the cap off. - If you can't see the pump you could try this (and drive gently as the boiling point will be lowered) and see if there is any difference.

BMC/BL waterpumps have traditionally been rubbish and generally the only cure was to find one made by someone else and fit it.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

get a 2CV
REGARDS MALCOLM
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well I think he may be getting a ZX......he may even have my old one :D :D :D :D
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

i would have said an AX but its a bit to small for a small family
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Didn't know ROVERS were french cars!!

Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Oh aye......didnt you know :lol: ...... aye there apparently a well hidden secret (well if you can call that) :D

Im a citroen lover....and i have family....its a lose lose situation hhehehhe :P
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Mmm fair enough.. Can you convert him to decent cars... The ZX is a good choice to replace a rover, as per earlier post above..

Regards
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

off to pub :) oh i think i can make him have a ZX oh yeahhhhhh
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi water pump is down the back of the engine, driven by the timing belt. might be worth doing the hg if the rest is ok regards john