Computerised MOT & diesel cat removal

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Computerised MOT & diesel cat removal

Post by nick »

Just to set the minds at rest of those who have removed the cat from their diesel exhaust, re the computerised MOT. Just had my '97 Xantia tested under the new system for the first time today (had the cat removed last year) and it passed with no problems. No mention was made of the absence of cat at all.

I'm pretty chuffed too because this is the 6th MOT in a row the Xantia has passed first time without needing anything doing :)
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Thanks for that Nick - an old chestnut is laid to rest.

But a sixth MoT test pass in a row? That's very slick =D>
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

May be a slight exageration, I think I had a brake light bulb go one year, but the tester just popped a new one at no charge which was very good of him. I usually check the car over a month or so before the test & do anything that needs doing, but to be fair the only "non-routine" thing its ever needed was a new steering column a couple of years ago, due to there being too much play in the bushes. I bought the car when it was 3 years old (from Stanningley Fleet, probably not a million miles from you ralph??) with a huge mileage, but with a full Citroen history & it had been pretty well cared for.

This year the tester complained almost non stop about the problems they've had with the computerised setup! He said the first test on a monday morning is always a nightmare because the system won't let anyone login until dead-on 9am, and monday morning is when it downloads the updates, which slow the system down to a crawl while its updating. He told me what he does is do all the testing he can manually while he's waiting for the computer to sort itself out, then only goes "online" when he's actually doing the parts of the test that need it, such as emissions!
Sounds like another really successful government IT project then :?
Sid Boggle
My Cars:

Post by Sid Boggle »

Thats about it, the new system only allows MOT stations to dial up, hence delays, its not on ISDN or broadband!!!! :shock:
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I cannot believe that with ISDN, Satellite, broadband, cable and all other 'networking' options these days that they brought out this all sinign all dancing 'intelligent' system and put it on a 56k dial up. Jeeezzzzz.

The next upgrade will be to an old 'speccy' 48k
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Stinkwheel wrote: The next upgrade will be to an old 'speccy' 48k
I can just see it,
"HORACE GOES MOT ING" :lol:
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

I know that they have to keep each vehicle logged in for 40 mins. How long does an MOT normally? 40 mins seemed well over the top the other day when I took her in doors' Clio for its second MOT...

Cheers

Paul
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

A couple of MOT centres I've spoken to hate the new system, as they are loosing money because of it. Rather than being able to do 12 mot's a day, they can only now manage 9 or 10, so are loosing out on between £70 and £100 per day.

Over a year, that means they've lost turnover of up to £25k. An awful lot to loose to an "upgrade"

Pointless waste of time really. There was nothing wrong with the MOT testing system. What's needed is a method for testing the driver.
This is not a signature.
alexp-j
My Cars:

siemens

Post by alexp-j »

talking to the MOT guy in July it turns out that the system was originally speced 2 years ago then left for dead. Then they dusted off the seimens contract & got them to install a two year old system :roll:
<GONE>1991 Peugeot 106 1.1 Carb</GONE>
<GONE>2004 Peugeot 307 SW 2.0 Hdi</GONE>
1995 Peugeot 106 Ski 1.5 D
2006 FIAT Panda 1.3 MultiJet
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Can only say ive heard bad things about the new system. Its slow, and costs more, and I cant really see how its any improvement on the old system. All I know is that it did cost me £25 - free retest, now its costs me £42 - no retest , and for what? the same bit of paper. Waste of time and money.
awg2

Post by awg2 »

The new sysem now makes the centralised database THE record. This will prevent car owners arguing that they have a valid document when the central record has no valid entry as there can be no such thing as an error.

1. Benefits Vehicle Licensing
2. Benefits car owners
3. Benefits UK

Select ONE only of the above.