XM Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DoubleChevron
My Cars:

XM Brakes

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,

I had a friend turn up last night in his '92 V6 XM (nice !!). We checked it's spheres finding most of them 'dead', both hydractive spheres were full of fluid.

Anyway I took it for a drive and my immediate response was "Damn the brakes are digusting"... "nearly as bad as my Xantias were".... So guys, where have Citroen (in there infinate stupidity) put the spring that is most obviously between the brake pedal and brake valve in RHD V6 '92 XM's. The brakes are appalling and bouncy like a ,... spring :twisted: :roll:

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On RHD XM the brake valve is located rather odd ...
- under a cover right behind the engine from above. A linkage connects from the pedal. Dont think the XM had the spring built into this linkage.

With your findings of dead spheres I'm convinced that ALL spheres are dead - giving that odd brakes feeling known with hydractive system.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Hi Shane,

Brakes on my XM are very effective at killing speed, better than my CX I think. Once you get over the built in spring :evil:

regards
sean
1996 XM 2.1 TD exclusive
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Looking at the spare parts diagram for the series 2 XM (RHD) there does indeed seem to be a spring spacer of the same type as on the LHD version -item 4 - its just that it presses upwards rather than forwards.

Check out:

http://ipcxm.free.fr/xm2/page%20de%20titre.pdf

look up "frein et transmission"

there are lots of other goodies on this frenchmans site: http://pepon1.free.fr/

//NiSk