Peugeot 306 Specs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gwailo

Peugeot 306 Specs

Post by gwailo »

I am a former 1.9 306 DTurbo owner and mistakenly sold it 6 months ago and purchased a VW Bora 1.9 90Tdi SE, a horrible car in comparison. So am looking to get another 306 soon - this time the 2.0 Hdi. For me the great thing about the 306 DTurbo was the suspension and steering, I understand that the rack and suspension was off the XSi version. So I would like to know is it only the DTurbo that shares these parts with the higher performance petrol model. What is main difference with the LX and GLX and Meridian version?

Hope you experts out there can give me of advice, always apprieciated.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

I used to have an old 306 1.9TD, but not a DTurbo, so I can't comment on the suspension setup with great confidence, but I know that the ride in my 306 HDi is much softer and smoother than the older cars. Nothing's been sacrificed in the handling though; it still sticks to the road and sluices through corners :D

As for the LX, GLX and Meridian, the differences are minor. LX was the base model, the GLX having alloy wheels and radio CD as standard as well as electric windows in the back. Not all LXs have alarms and deadlocks. Some GLXs have part leather interiors and CD changers. Meridians were pretty much GLXs half leather & alcantara interiors. All had ABS, airbags, aircon, climate control, rain senstive wipers, remote central locking and the GTI body kit with front fogs. All have a ridiculously tiny glovebox 8)

Given the choice, I wouldn't bother with an LX as the difference in price now is minimal and you'll get more toys with a GLX or Meridian. Between them, there isn't a great deal to choose in general; it'll be more about the individual car.

You could always hunt down an HDi DTurbo which (I believe) was the XSi setup (lower and stiffer suspension) with the HDi engine and had the smart GTI6 alloys :P
gwailo

306 Hdi

Post by gwailo »

yeah, ideally I am looking for the DTurbo Hdi but the few I have phoned up about have quickly been sold. So was trying get an idea on the alternative Hdi 306 Hdi models and how far off the DTurbo they are in terms of the handling and steering. Also does anybody know what these 2.0 90hp Hdi's do to the gallon? read many posts saying they are not that great for common rail, esp when compared to the older technology indirect injection XUD engine. I suppose ppl are always comparing with them with the VW units which seems to always do 50-55mpg, although what I have noticed is that they might have cheeted a bit because the gearing is very long.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

When I first got mine it returned about 48mpg or so, but once I'd adjusted my driving style from the old TD (i.e.: boot it to get it into the turbo range ASAP 8) ) to a style more suited to the HDi (i.e.: ride the extra low-down torque, then boot it for some fun :D ) I started getting figures averaging 52mpg. A tank does over 600 miles, 620 being good going and anything about that is either a bonus or means you're running on empty 8-[

I think it's a great car to drive and certainly better than the old XUDTE setups. At times it can feel slower but that's only because the turbo comes in more gradually, so you don't get that kick-in-the-knackers lump of power when it does :wink: Definitely a worthy upgrade if you don't fancy a Golf or can't stretch to an A3 :P
gwailo

306's

Post by gwailo »

Yeah, dont like the golf, the diesel engines are rough and the handling sloppy and ride too firm, banging over ther bumps. The latest 2.0 litre Audi 140bhp is quite impressive, massive surge of power but is a bit of an anticlimax further up the rev range since the initial surge is so great. The lastest 2.0 is an improvement on the older 1.9 PD Tdi 130 for sure, but just too pricy and not good value. The best diesel car I have driven has got to be the 406 coupe with the 2.2 Hdi , that had power everywhere, quite, refined, torque - very impressive. Bet with a chip would thrash all the VW's without doubt. But decided 306 Hdi is best for me, don't like the look for the 307, the only downside to the 306 is that they never intercooled it giving it the full 110hp but even that can be sorted out if really necesarry. The most impressive thing about psa diesels is that at least when on the move they dont sound like diesels and I suppose with the Hdi psa have gone one step further and made something that drives more akin to a petrol with the econ of diesel. I would like the DTurbo HDi but as you reckon they are all good ride handling etc, so suppose GLX or Meridian would do me fine. Looking to spend about 4 to 4 half K.