driveshaft diagnosis

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

driveshaft diagnosis

Post by xantia_v6 »

My Xantia V6 has had a slight vibration at 70MPH since I got it at 60,000 miles. Now at 90,000 miles it has suddenly got worse and is quite annoying. I have had the wheels balanced a couple of times, and tried swapping the wheels around, but no change.

I am now thinking that I have a worn or damaged driveshaft. Any hints as to how to check the driveshafts?

Any sources of V6/Activa/HDI drfiveshafts?

regards,
Mike
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I would certainly bet the drive shafts. We had a Xantia TD that vibrated and wobbled the whole dash and brake pedal when accelerating in gear, or making the engine work, we swapped the driveshafts for new ones and the problem dissapered...

As for getting shafts, I do not know... Good luck sourcing them

Regards
citroenxm
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

On my CX I had a vibration that got worse as as the unit warmed up which eventually turned out to be worn inner drive shaft joints and was immediatly cured by replacement.

I think GSF do drive shafts considerably cheaper than Citroen or you could always try the breakers.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I put the front of the car up on stands, and ran the engine in gear with one wheel held stationary.
With just the left wheel spinning, there was no vibration, but quite a rumble.
With just the right wheelspinning there was rumble and vibration, which seemed to be the same with the wheel removed.

I am thinking that the rumble is due to the suspension hanging so that the CVs are not running in optimum alignment.

Is this a valid diagnosis that my RH driveshaft needs replacing?

Can someone tell me what size socket I need for the hub nut?

TIA
Mike
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

xantia_v6 wrote:I put the front of the car up on stands, and ran the engine in gear with one wheel held stationary.
With just the left wheel spinning, there was no vibration, but quite a rumble.
With just the right wheelspinning there was rumble and vibration, which seemed to be the same with the wheel removed.

I am thinking that the rumble is due to the suspension hanging so that the CVs are not running in optimum alignment.
Unless the CV joints are stuffed, the angle they're running at (within the normal travel of the suspension) won't cause any extra noise, especially under no load, and with the types of joints Citroen use. (Tri-Axe joint on the inside end)

The rumble when doing a test like this is normal and it comes mainly from the diff in the gearbox because it is operating in the condition of one side being locked which means the differential speed between the left and right wheel is maximum, something which is an abnormal condition for the diff in a road car.

With normal driving there is only a very small percentage difference in speed between left and right when cornerning, thus a low differential rotation speed.

Another thing that contributes to the rumble is that without the consistant load of the car on its wheels, the slack through the gearbox, diff, and driveshafts is not taken up consistently, so there can be a little bit of overrun with tiny speed fluctuations of the motor.

In short the rumble when you lock one wheel like that is nothing to worry about.
Is this a valid diagnosis that my RH driveshaft needs replacing?
Well it certainly shows that something is wrong on the right hand side, quite possibly the driveshaft (due to a stuffed CV or Tri-Axe joint) but it could be something else like the wheel bearing.

Also remember that the right hand side has an intermediate shaft and bearing as well - so that bearing is also a potential culprit. But the driveshaft is the most likely...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive