My wife just rang me at work.........

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotsupnow
My Cars:

My wife just rang me at work.........

Post by wotsupnow »

1998 Xantia 1.9TD

She picked the lads up from school, as she started the car it was really rattly, she came to a tight left hander and the steering wouldn't go far enough so she had to take a wide sweep around the corner. When she got to our house it wouldn't go into reverse and she says the brake light is on all the time ( no abs so I'm not sure what she means ).

Ring any bells ? it's going to be dark when I get to it tonight, engine mount ?

Pete
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Apart from not being able to select reverse, it sounds like it's run out of LHM. Rattly because the pump is sucking air, steering tight because it ran out of pressure, light on because the level is low. At least she got home before the brakes failed :shock:

Not a clue why it won't go into reverse though!
Richard W
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

What richard said all seems spot on to me, Dont have a hydraulic clutch does it? Might explain why it wont select reverse.

Dont let her drive it anymore until you have checked levels and for leaks (usual dsicalimer of dont crawl under unsupported hydro car)
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Stinkwheel wrote:Dont have a hydraulic clutch does it? Might explain why it wont select reverse.
Some Xantia's do but it is a sealed system separate from the brake/suspension hydraulics.

If it has run out of fluid then the big red stop light should be on. It's big and read and says STOP for a good reason.
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

The aux belt has been shredded, it would go in reverse but she couldn't steer ! the offset idler pulley sounds a bit rough but doesn't lock up, the alan key headed bolt appears rusty and very solid is that all that holds it in ? Haynes has adjustment but not replacement............ sprung idler has a bit of play but sounds ok when spun , hydraulic pump/crankshaft/alternator/aircon all feel ok so I reckon the idler seized and the belt slipped off and lost two sets of grooves as it went behind the crank pulley, I've found all the bits. The orig belt was 1740 but best I could get was 1736 and I couldn't undo the idler then to adjust it.
GSF don't appear to sell a 1740 and europarts are out of stock.
Any ideas ?

Pete
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I wouldn't have thought 4mm would stop you putting on the new belt. There are two tensioners in the belt run - a sprung tensioner at the top that you have to put a square drive in to pull back and an off centre wheel at the bottom with an alan key pivot and a square hole to tension it with. The top tensioner can be moved back and a pin put in to hold it while the belt is fitted; without doing this you'll have loads of trouble!
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

I know, I fitted the smaller belt over a year ago, I suspect the extra tension has knackered the offset idler bearing as it sounds dry and noisy when spun, although it doesn't feel to lock up.

My main question is how do I remove the idler ? the allan key bolt appears to be stuck firm, is that all that holds the idler on ? can I use a long allan key and hammer ? what if it sheers or rounds off ?

The sprung idler feels a bit stiffish, if spun with a finger it'll go about 1.5 turns then stop but is much quieter than the one below and feels smooth to turn.

The belt went behind the crankshaft pulley which stripped a couple of grooves worth off the side so it must have left one of the idlers to be able to skip across the grooves ?.

Pete
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Don't forget there is another Allen headed bolt inside the idler pulley wheel. I always forget to slacken this off, and can't understand why the adjuster bolt (the bottom one) won't move.

My 405 has a hole in the inner wing where you can get to this extra bolt. It's not forced to be in exactly the centre of the idler pulley, so don't despair if it's not there when you look. It'll take a bit of prodding around to find it.

My idler pulley has sounded dry for the last 70-80,000 miles. I just spray a bit of WD-40 on it when I change the belt. Never seems to cause me any problems.

Now the top tensioner... :roll:
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

Stevieb, I don't think your idler is the same, the one I have has a large allan key bolt which is the one I can't undo and next to that a square hole for the adjuster, ie the bolt is offset and you swing the idler around it to adjust the tension. I would happily replace it if I could only get it off......

Does anyone here know if it's only held on by that one bolt ?

Pete
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Hi there,
If anyone can give advice on how to get this little allen bolt out please please post a reply...........

TO wotsupnow : I too have the same problem,if i ever get it out i will replace it with a proper bolt..Bad design fault ?

This is what i did : I removed the the alternator,put the belt around the the tensioners and pump then got the alternator ready to put back in place.

I put put the belt onto the alternator,offered the alternator up,inserted the bottom bolt then pushed the alternator upwards to insert the top bolt.

The last bit needs a few Weetabix but you will find the belt tension is just about right....Do check this.

Dont buy a belt too small.

Hope this helps....Hope we get a reply as to how you get that bolt out i tried everthing.
Last edited by citroenbx on 11 Nov 2005, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

citroenbx, I can fit a 6pk 1736 belt using the top sprung adjuster and a radiator valve fitting key filed down to fit the square hole..........
I'm just concerned that the belt came off after 1.5yrs due to the idler, so if I fit another it'll do the same but much sooner and leave my wife stranded.
Does the bx have teeth across the belt like the timing belt ? the Xantia has grooves running the length of the belt giving it just 6 very long teeth..........

I am tempted to try a smaller belt and bypass the idler so it'll run long enough to trade it in.

Pete
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Yes sorry..I have edited the above post now.(Timing Belt)

The belt has grooves across it .Its a ZX not a BX.
A shame you think you have to get rid of the Citroen because of the belt problem.

I would suggest you WD40 the pulley and fit a new belt...Belts dont usually go ping they start to show signs of deteriation first and you never know you may have had a defective belt from the offset ?

As part of your weekly checks just run your eye over the belt condition.It may not do it again but if i does you'll probably see it first.

Good luck
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This should be a pic of the set up on your car - originally used on the 2.1s, and then on later 1.9s:

Looks like the idler does only have the one bolt holding it on. If you can't undo the bolt, then you'll need to remove the alternator (and possibly HP Pump) to remove the bracket off the front of the engine, so you can attack the bolt properly - like with an angle grinder :twisted:
Richard W
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

My mistake - that's very different to mine.

I guess the square hole is the same size, in which case a 3/8" drive square will fit. I used a t-bar and short extension on mine - gave me just the right amount of leverage.
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

Thanks RichardW the drawing was spot on, I managed to get the idler undone though with a long allan key with a piece of pipe over the end.
Prised the seal off the back and packed with grease, put it all back with a new belt and.......it wouln't start, it sounded like only one cylinder firing and after about 5-6 tries it finally started but very clattery and the engine mgt light on, went for a run and it feels as powerfull as before and light goes out above 2,500 revs but comes back on below that. After it had cooled down it again sounded like only one glow plug is working or perhaps an injector has gone.... I've had enough of it! it's got to go.

Pete