405 - Removing door trim

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

405 - Removing door trim

Post by mbunting »

Need to get the drivers door trim off to replace the mirror.

I've got all the screws out - the three by the speaker, the one at the rear of the door tray, and the three in the arm rest ( and remove it ).

I cannot get the door trim to come away around by the speaker. The book of lies says there's a clip by the speaker, but I can't find it.

Any pointers ( it's a 95 reg )

Cheers.
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

Theres some clips up the front edge of the door trim, They just snap off & on again, Give it a tug from the speaker corner, Theres 2 little clips if I remember correctly.

Theres also 3 of these clips along the bottom of the door trim & a couple more up the rear edge.

The door lock button & trim around the door handle need to come off too, Likewise the window switches / window one shot relay ( on the back of the door trim ) or window handle & the mirror switch, depending on spec.

Its best to lower the window to the bottom & then you can lift the door trim off the top of the door much easier.
Do you know the little trick about removing & refitting the lock button correctly? They can be a pain.

Use a little threadlock on the mirror torx 20 screws, If you dont they rattle lose & you get a wobbly mirror.

405 door trims are easy, Ive had many off & on again in my lifetime, lol
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Thanks Lee,

It's all done apart from the "clip" if there is one near the speaker. Both vertical edges are loose, and the bottom is loose apart from something around the area between the speaker and the mirror controller.

I don't want to pull too hard at the trim incase something snaps - and I'm pulling really hard ( bottom edge towards me ).

What's the trick with the door button then ?

Regards
Mat.
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

You have removed the 3 x torx 20 screws that hold the door speaker in & unplugged the yellow plug on the back of the speaker & put it somewhere safe?

Theres a bit of clear plastic behind the speaker that can stick & hold the door card to the door, If all the screws are out then it should just unclip from the door.

Also you need to unplug the black & the white plugs on the mirror switch, Pop that out if you havent already & unplug, Also the window one shot control box on the back of the door card has a red plug to unplug.

One brown plug for passenger window switch & the blue plug for drivers one shot switch.

The door button has a 2 small slots in it, Press into this top slot ( the only one you can see when its fitted ) with a small flatblade screwdriver & lift the button upwards & outwards & it will come free.

To put it back when you are finished you need to move the little clip on the back to the BOTTOM slot on the doorbutton.

Sit in the car & shut the door & press the lock rod down to lock it.

Using the fladblade screwdriver aim the lockrod into the little clip on the back of the door button.

Line the lock button grooves up with the slot in each side of it housing in the door card.

When everything is lined up press down hard & towards the door on the lock button & it will slot in place & the clip will move to the top slot & grip the rod.

If you bust it a new clip is around 40 pence & a whole lock button is less then £2.

Once you get the hang of them they are second nature & you can do them with your eyes shut.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

That geeza who knows more about Peugeots than Peugeot wrote:
You have removed the 3 x torx 20 screws that hold the door speaker in & unplugged the yellow plug on the back of the speaker & put it somewhere safe?
Also you need to unplug the black & the white plugs on the mirror switch, Pop that out if you havent already & unplug, Also the window one shot control box on the back of the door card has a red plug to unplug.
The phantom book of lies strikes again !
Will try in daylight tomorrow ( half disassembled at the mo :lol: )
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Ha ha ha

Ive owned a couple of 405s & know how to take them to bits & fix most faults on them lol.

The Haynes manual aint too bad for the 405, Just watch the wiring diagrams, The august 94 onwards airbag equipped 405s have a 405 & 306/406 hybrid wiring loom fitted so you need a Haynes book for one of those too if you want alarm, immboiliser, ABS, airbag / seatbelt pretensioner wiring info.

Also the procedure they give for changing the bulbs in the clock / outside temp unit is a right p**s take, Haynes say remove half the dashboard & centre consul, No need to, Theres an easy quick short cut to that little job, Takes me about 20 minutes start to finish on those.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Thanks PowerLee, got that sorted.

Don't suppose you can point me in the general troubleshooting direction for the drivers side electric window, which is held in by some cardboard at the moment. When taking the cardboard out, the window will slip all the way to the bottom.

The previous owner said the motor had gone, when I looked while doing the mirror, I could see steel cable and a few brackets lying loose at the bottom of the door.

Cheers
Mat.
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

The window motor uses a steel braided cable that is wrapped around 2 pulleys in one kind of big loop, One at the top & the other at the bottom of the door & a central metal slide that the window channel slides up & down on, The motor winds the cable each way & the glass goes up & down.

If the steel cable snaps then the glass drops to the bottom of the door.

Scrapyard & a decent second hand motor / regulator assembly & some grease is the answer to this problem, Make sure it comes from a facelift 405 because the pre facelift ones are a different part number.

Sometimes the steel cable just jumps off one of the pulleys, It sounds more to me like your has snapped the cable, Not the end of the world, Just a bit more fettling to do & take the door trim off again.