Please help: rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

acano2403

Please help: rear suspension

Post by acano2403 »

Hi, went out to the car this morning and noticed that the rear ride height was low, didnt pay much attention as it was pretty darkand wet, and thought that it would sort itself out when i started to drive the car.
1st problem the height of the rear stayed where it was, thats when I thought better drive it back into parking space OH s**t no brakes until i jumped on them.
What could the problem be?

Oh forgot to mention its been ticking like mad over the last day or so from the front pulley what looks like sum kind of pump

PS Its a Xantia 1.8 pertol 8 valve 1996 Estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though your hydraulic fluid level is low, and/or the pump drive belt is slipping. If the fluid level is OK the ticking could be due to the need for a new accumulator sphere.
acano2403

Post by acano2403 »

Thanks for the quick reply checked the fuid and belt they seem fine. Would it be the accumulator sphere as you say even when the front works fine (going up an down when lever is moved) and also would the brakes be affected by the accumulator sphere failing?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There is apparantly a plastic clip that links the rear anti roll bar to the height corrector (I say apparently because the XM doesn't have one, so I havn't seen it) these break or become detached because the linkage siezes up. You could check this and lubricate the linkage with several applications of WD40 over a few days, this should free it up, once it is reconnected.
acano2403

Post by acano2403 »

cheers I'll try that
Xantia 1.8i 8valve petrol
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

Car Mechanic magazine did a good series on the Xantia over six back issues costind about three pounds each - available to buy on line - mine is the diesel but all the suspension, spheres, rear bearings, height adjuster etc are included - you may want to have a look - I thought it was money well spent