C5 EGR valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sir Clive

C5 EGR valve

Post by Sir Clive »

I decided that the trusty C5 would be better off without . It's a bit like asking an athlete to breathe in their own farts while trying to run a race....bound to affect their performance :shock:

Being a 2 litre engine, the valve appears to be on the rear left hand side of the engine, easy to see but not so easy to remove and blank off. I decided just to pull off the vacuum pipe. The engine started and ran just fine, neither did any diagnostic lamps come on. Anyway, I've stuffed a ball up the vacuum pipe and reconnected it. Have I got more performance? Hard to say, it pulls like a train anyway. On balance, like my appendix, I can live quite happily without an EGR valve!
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I dont know which is the engine that you have on your C5. On my Hdi, the EGR is only activated at low rotations, and is automatically cut-off at around 2700RPM.

I tried disconnecting it and being the engine a diesel one, with high torques at low RPMs, there is a slight difference. However on a petrol engine things are quite different, so maybe that is why you are not feeling anything. Anyway, it´s better to let the engine fart of to it´s own mouth than to other peoples faces :twisted:
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I advise to disconnect the EGR, though i haven't done it yet on the C5.
On a regular visit to a trusty mechanic with the Frontera (2.2DTI), the admission was removed and boy, oh boy!, was that dirty! :shock:
The intakes were reduced by almost 1/3 in diameter, and the car had only 45.000kms on it!
Definitely, something on the to-do list for the C5, together with the cleaning of the intercooler.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

My engine is the 2 litre Hdi. The main reason I disconnected the EGR was to prevent the build up of muck in the inlet tract which these things seem to be very prone to causing.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

They certainly are the cause of a lot of gumming up of the intake system. I once took a 1.9TD engine from a later 406 apart, and one of the inlet manifold branches was so blocked with crud I could barely get my finger through the remaining gap.

EGR is the spawn of satan, and is undoubtedly the cause of a great number of engines (and cars) being written off well before their time. Not exactly environmentally friendly then, is it!
This is not a signature.