1998 Xantia Rear Windows stopped working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

98xantian
My Cars:

1998 Xantia Rear Windows stopped working

Post by 98xantian »

Hi

I am new to the forum... just found it I have serched the pages and nothing seems to be close to solving this issue.

A couple of weeks ago I had both the rear windows open. I started to close them both and one stopped a couple of inches from the top and now neither will work.

I have so far...

Checked all fuses, checked power is getting to the rear window child lock switch.

I have checked the Haynes manual and assume it could be a relay based on them existing in the diagrams but have no way of identifing the realys in the car as neither the haynes nor owners manul list which is which.

It could be another problem alltogether though I guess.

If it helps it is the n/s rear window that stuck open.

thanks, nick

PS I also need a n/s front headlight unit... any ideas other than the £70 cost to replace from GSF? sadly it is not possible to only replace the glass!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Nick

The window thats stuck open, can you pull it up manually? is so the cable has probably broken. If not it is quite likely one or more of the switches, they seem to go open circuit at the drop of a hat. I dont think that there are any relays between the child switch and windows, but there are connectors on the door posts. It seems strange that they both stopped at the same time. How did you check the power to the child switch? if it was with a meter there may be 12v showing that dissapears under load. Try connecting a lamp from the switch to earth, if it lights I would go for the switch first.

All the above apply to the XM but I think that the Xantia is the same.
98xantian
My Cars:

Post by 98xantian »

Hi Peter, thanks for responding. the window that will not shut can not be pulled up. and still neither of the rear windows will move with ay of the switches.

The fact that it is both the rear windows suggests a relay, but without knowing which relay is which I have no way of working it out.

I tested the voltage under load (lighs and heater and fan all on) no change on the volt meter.

thanks, nick
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You need to put a load on the supply from the switch, try operating the switches with the meter connected.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Betcha the rear windows are locked out using the child lock. Try switching the rear windows back on with the dash switch (or front switches).

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)