front wheel bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andrew1967
My Cars:

front wheel bearing

Post by Andrew1967 »

Hi guys, lots of noise from left wheen,, think it is the bearings,,, how can I make sure it is before I set to finding a garage cheap enough to suit my budget,,,,,, and make sure they dont find something that isnt there!!!!
Thanks
Andrew
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Make sure the pads are free of the disc and spin the wheel by hand, listen for any knocking or roughness as it rotates.
Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and feel for any play.
In the early stages of bearing failure it may be very difficult to detect any play at all, same goes for any noises coming from it, when the weight is off it it may be as quiet as a mouse.
The only things you can then do are make a calculated guess at which is the offending bearing, change both sides, or my method to let it develope keeping a close eye on it untill it can be positively identified, unles you do alot of high speed motorway driving in which case take early action to rectify the fault.
Dave
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

I had a wheel bearing go on my Xantia last summer, at 81,000 miles. As Dave says, it's hard to detect any play at first. The first symptom I saw was a slight squeal when I took a very gentle right hand bend - not a sharp right-hander, because that was completely silent, but a gentle one. In my case it was the nearside bearing that had gone. So if left-handers make more noise for you, it's a fair guess that the offside is dodgy instead.
But wheel noise can also be caused by a sticking caliper. Worth checking first, I'd think.
In the end, I got my garage to replace both sets of front bearings. I reckoned that if one of them was shot the other one wouldn't be very far behind.
Mike
Andrew1967
My Cars:

Post by Andrew1967 »

Thanks Guys, will jack it up at the weekend and take a look and if I think it is will take it to the garage.... Do want to learn and do it myself but I know being my first time would take me to long and dont really have the time sadly.
Will get my first even Haynes as well Saturday! :)
Noticed its quite noisy today, faster I go the more it makes a noise, higher in pitch & the car vibrates at 70 plus , didnt do that before
Andrew
marco1
My Cars:

Post by marco1 »

yours sounds like it is bearing..i thought mine had gone nearside whining when taking left hand bends, ha still done it when ichanged it. done the other one ..still done it, took it to citroen.they said ive done the obvious.i said what about final drive or driveshaft??they were,nt convinced so here i am 3 months later 3000 miles still doing it ive given up at present.any idears anyone??
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I presume you have checked the oil in the gearbox/final drive?
Has this noise been apparant ever since you've owned the car or has it developed over a period of time and in that case how long? Any other tips about things done to the car immediately before noise started?
There are two ways to continue: either forget it and wait until it gets so bad you can't possible miss the cause, or arrange to have the car raised on a car lift with the front wheels free and listen for noises from under.
// NiSk
marco1
My Cars:

Post by marco1 »

hi nisk.ye new gear oil, car was wonderfull over a year, towed caravan though france this year same as last year,got down to middle of france noticed it then.peed right off really its a great car ruined by this whining..fine in stright line .. just when you take any sort of bend like i said citroen dont know!!!!!car five years old full service 98.000 miles.