xantia front anti-sink valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tinny

xantia front anti-sink valve

Post by tinny »

I defnitly have a LHM leak somewhere in my 97' xantia 1.9TD estate, and i'm pretty sure i can point the finger at the little chap that sits underneath the front LHM resevoir. Could someone please tell me if this is the front anti-sink valve as i suspect, and is this a common thing to go wrong on the xantia?

I got to it by taking the air filter section out and moving the resevoir out of the way meaning i didnt have to disconnect anything and the valve was right beneath this, in order to get the valve out i need to disconnect some thin metal tubes, does anyone know how to take these out? Fortunatly i was aided by some residual pressure on the first one which popped right out but the others are still in there quite firmly, i would be more confident and put a bit more gusto into my pulling effort if i was sure this was the right thing to do!

cheers
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I would say that the little old chap sitting underneath the LHM reservoir is the Break doseaur...
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It sure sounds like the antisink valve. Presume yours is RHD? If so it won't be the brake valve...! Yes, it's common for them to leak. Assume you have depressured the suspension (run engine, put in low, wait a couple of minutes, undo the 12mm bolt on the pressure regulator 1.5 turns, wait another couple of minutes, then swtich off engine)? If so , then if you just undo the unions the pipes should just pull out. I've had trouble with some of the pipes sticking under the rear on a Xantia, but some gently persuasion / prying / wiggling should get them out. Fit new seals to the pipes then the pipes into the new A/S valve, then tighten the unions up gently.
Richard W
tinny

Post by tinny »

yes it is RHD. I did as you mentioned to depressure the suspension however as i did not hear a hissing when i slackened the regulator, i assumed as it had been sitting there for a week with a leak this was probably to be expected. Now that i have removed one connection it certainly has depressurised, as well as spraying the remaining LHM everywhere! what a muppet! Thanks for the advice Richard, its much appreciated, i will order myself a new antisink valve right away.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Don't ignore the leak. If it has a mind to, it will dump the entire contents of the reservoir in a few minutes of running. I write from experience!!Even when the unions are undone, you'll find the pipework reluctant to move because they will be held by the seals. When you get the new valve, also get some new seals.