Noises from Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dereks

Noises from Xantia

Post by dereks »

I am considering purchasing a 99 (T) reg Xantia. On the test drive, I noticed that when the steering wheel was turned there was a hissing noise heard (inside the car). Also after getting out of the car and the suspension was settling, there was a rumblind kind of noise.
Is this normal?
If not does anyone know what the noises may be?

Regards,
Derek.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The hissing noise is probably the pressure regulator as the power steering uses large ammounts of fluid it causes the pressure to drop, if it steers OK I wouldnt worry about it. If the suspension noise was from the front, probably nothing to worry about but if it is from the back, it could be the trailing arm bearings.

Peter.N.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Light hissing sounds heard from the steering are normal on this and also on some other vehicles, the sound is caused be high pressure oil being forced through the small clearances in the pinion valve.

Heavy hissing sounds, usually only heard at hard full lock is again high pressure oil escaping, though this time through the pressure limiting valve in the power steering section of the pump.

Rumblings coming from the suspension as it settles after merely getting out of the car is not normal, though some strange sounds can be heard if the suspension is operated over its full range, these are usually accepted as normal, but rumbling type sounds during its normal operating range should be treated as suspect.

Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This noise is not very likely to be associated with the pressure reegulator as its not in the same circuit. This car will have the twin outlet pump - the majority of the pump feeds the power steering and 2 cylinders feed the pressure regulator, and then the suspension and brakes.

Could the hissing be air in the hydraulics? Can you see in the reservoir - does it look like green milk? Some bubbles come from the return system but excessive could be the sign of air. If it does happen its probbaly the p-ipe from the reservoir to the pump. It can't be any further down - the pressure is far too high.

Car should not creak - however what model is it? Activas (and some others) have extra valves, rams etc.
jeremy