citroen xantia hdi starting and running problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robertrdt

citroen xantia hdi starting and running problems

Post by robertrdt »

can anyone help?for the past week my xantia has been taking a few seconds longer to start.two nights ago whilst driving home my engine management light came on and the car immediately cut out.i got it started again and the light was out,but 5 mins later the same thing happened.its a 2001 model.
paulbx
My Cars:

Usual suspects

Post by paulbx »

Normally first port of call for poor starting on a diesel is the glowplugs. after that its air getting somewhere in the fuel supply or the fuel supply being problematic
However, noting that its also cuts out and the engine mamangement light comes on this sounds like an electrical gremlin.

Its worth checking that all the simple stuff is OK first. battery terminals clean and tight, eelctrical connection to the diesel pump and ancillaries are clean and fully pushed home.

Has anything changed / work been doen recently?
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The low pressure fuel pump (in the top of the tank) is a strong candidate for these symptoms. Open up the fuel filter and have a look in the bottom - apparently when the pumps give out, small copper / brass particles find their way to the filter. On early HDi engines, the life of the fuel pump was about 60k miles - they seem to have sorted it out a bit now though, and they seem to last longer.
Richard W
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi

sounds like the lift pump in the tank which has already been mentioned. Our HDi didn't have problems starting but would cut out for no apparent reason. and would take between 5 - 20 minutes to restart :( whilst it wouldn't start there was no noise from the pump and the engine management light would not come on, once the pump was happy again you could here it for a few seconds and the engine management like would come on. It would normally cut out at low engine and road speed.

Have had the pump replaced at begining of week and it's been fine since, cost me £150 to have it changed at the garage.

Cheers
Deano
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Also, please have in mind that the ECU has to count at least 3 or 4 full engine turns befor it allows the engine to "fire-up". A simple problem like the crankshaft sensor being dodgy is enough to cause such problems.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
robertrdt

Post by robertrdt »

i`ve checked out my battery and the connections suggested,no joy there .the car isnt starting at all now....helllllllpp!
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

when turning the ignition on do you hear the pump? does the engine management light come on and then goes out after 1-2 seconds?

cheers
Deano
robertrdt

Post by robertrdt »

yes,i can hear the pump,the engine management light however remains on