non commital indecisive speedo!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Adstar
My Cars:

non commital indecisive speedo!

Post by Adstar »

I think i have found the answer, but I want confirmation before getting my hands dirty!

96 Peugeot 605 2.1TD

The speedo doesn't like cold mornings, sometimes it doesn't bidge, sometimes it registers the fact I am moving, sometimes it is even generous enough to show me just how fast I'm going!

I was told it is plastic gear drive in the gear box. But in my view that would cause problems every time the car was started ( I haven't had a problem on the trip home after work!) Which is why i suspected an electrical fault.

Searching through the site lead me to a similar problem on a Citroen. That has an electrical pick up from the gearbox. The solution was to remove clean and replace. Significantly more doable than replacing little plastic gears!

So, simple question, is it true!? Am I lucky enough to have an electric signal that I can clean the contact of, or am I stuck working out the speed on the rev counter (I'm getting quite good now!).

Thanks in advance.
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.
rotodiesel

PSA Speedos

Post by rotodiesel »

The easiest way to tell if you have the electronic speedo is to turn off the engine at (say) 20mph and coast to a halt. The usual safety precautions concerning loss of power assistance to brakes and steering must be obseved.

With the electronic speedo, the speed at which you turned off the ignition will remain displayed, even when the car is stationary. When you next turn on the ignition, the pointer will "motor" down to zero.

The connections to the hall sensor on the gearbox (near driveshaft) are suspect - unlatch and part connector, apply vaseline to pins and mate/unmate 5 times. The connector to the pc board behind the dash are not wonderful either, but live in a better environment. Try the gearbox end first.

rotodiesel.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: PSA Speedos

Post by Homer »

rotodiesel wrote: With the electronic speedo, the speed at which you turned off the ignition will remain displayed, even when the car is stationary. When you next turn on the ignition, the pointer will "motor" down to zero.
If this is true then the speedometer is illegal as it has to be accurate to +10%+6.25mph at all speeds over 25mph. Nothing about having the engine running. :oops:
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Every car i've driven with an electronic speedo has seen the needle crash to zero as soon as I've turned the ignition off (for testing purposes only..), then return to the current speed when the ignition turned back on whilst moving...on an empty motorway of course!
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Yup... thats what my 306 XSi one does...

Ignition off > Dead dashboard (inc speedo).

No holding on speed or anything like that.
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

WooHoo Contraversy at last! I haven't tried the experiement, but was more than a little dubious. I'll just keep asking around and eventually get my hands dirty.

Does anyone actually know what type of 'feed' these cars are fitted with? Is it electric or mechanical.
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.