strange creaking noise on front brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zxb29
My Cars:

strange creaking noise on front brakes

Post by zxb29 »

Hi all

need some advice

on my cit zx driver side when i break i can hear a creaking noise loud enough to hear inside of the car and outside, ive changed pads and disc but noise is still there, doesnt happen first thing in the morning but soon after its all warmed up noise appears?

any ideas ? or is the a problem with the caliper itself.

Thanks.
-----------------------
2005 ZX SX Diesel 64K
2004 ZX Aura TD 150k
2003 ZX Volcane TD 124k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does it do it if you press the brake when stationary or only when moving? If its only when moving its probably something in the suspension, possibly bushes.
zxb29
My Cars:

Post by zxb29 »

hi this does it stationary as well u can hear the creak when pumping the pedal
-----------------------
2005 ZX SX Diesel 64K
2004 ZX Aura TD 150k
2003 ZX Volcane TD 124k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Did you refit the anti rattle spring? If the brakes work OK I would'nt worry to much about it, could just be that the pads havn't bedded in yet. Ah,I have just re read your post and assume it was doing this before you changed the pads? Are the caliper securing bolts tight.
zxb29
My Cars:

Post by zxb29 »

This was doing this before so i thought it might have been the disc so i changed that and put in a new set of brakes as well but i still get the noise

i didnt put the anti rattle clips back in, the other side aint got it either

would bleeding that caliper solve the problem?
-----------------------
2005 ZX SX Diesel 64K
2004 ZX Aura TD 150k
2003 ZX Volcane TD 124k
Nutcase
My Cars:

Post by Nutcase »

Hi,
Have you checked that it isn't the floorpan or the bracketry for the actual pedal that is damaged, split, corroded or worn and distorting/creaking when you apply pressure to the pedal, or is the noise definitely originating from the disk area?

Greg
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

My previous zx used to do this. Could sit there not moving, depress pedal and it would creak when at max travel. used to need complete clean up but would sort them out -

took pads out and cleaned location edges (pad metal contact point with caliper), also cleaned caliper slide area and components so that the pads could slide in and out easily - not to loose tho, just enough. greased to maintain movement reduce corrosion.

Look at outer edge of pad, you may have a lip - carefully file a chamfer. Repeat for disk, hammer will remove rust on circumference, then file chamfer.

Then checked all rubber boots on the caliper. some would not fit properly or not extend enough and so would pop off, therefore dirt etc would get in on slides/mouniting pins. i cleaned all of these and repacked them with grease. if badly corroded u should be able to seperate caliper and clean slide pins,gease and reassemble.

carefully pump out brake cylinder ( but not to far otherwise will pop out)and check for corrosion/lip of dirt, should be able to push back in by hand/ use wood to lever back in and repeat until moves freely.

I had no anti rattle clips whatsoever - high melting point grease on rear of pad where contact on caliper.

hey presto problem solved....for about 12 months then would need to repeat as dirt/water got in.

Worked for me :)
Rich
95 Volcane TD 5Dr
600 Bandit