New computerised MOT test

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mpr1956
My Cars:

New computerised MOT test

Post by mpr1956 »

Just had the 93 Xant tdsx mot'd.. It failed the test on the rear suspension gaiters, which were straightforward to replace. What I didn't know was that now the test is carried out while "live" online to the DOSA computer ( even the smoke test results are uploaded straight to DOSA ) , the garage can no longer just test the failed items and issue the ticket. Apart from a few items like tyres or lights, the retest must now take at least 30 minutes or so leaving the garage no option but to charge a full retest fee . ( In fact they charged a little bit less, but they still had to be online for the full test time ). This new system, although designed I suppose to make it easier to identify rogue car owners, added a fair whack to the bill ( and more tax revenue for HMG to waste !) I hope the system can be modified to allow flexibility on retests, -what's the point in checking items twice in two days?.
I won't do that again
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

And the new certificates are even easier to fake than the old ones- they don't even have to have the embossed stamp!!

The roll out of the new system has been a bit of a disaster and as with all government I.T. it doesn't work particularly well- you'd have thought that the retest problem would have been sorted out by now as all the trialling was done in Northern Ireland long before it was introduced to the rest of the UK.

There is talk of the test being brought into line with Europe by being done every 2 years instead of every year, which seems to be more or less unique to the UK.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There has been no change the re-testing requirements since the intro of the computerised test. A full re-test was always required if the car was taken away for repairs that were not 'minor', and in any case if the car was away for more than 24 hours. What used to happen was that the second test tended to be a cursory glance, as the testers were usually of the opinion that not much would have changed over a week. Difference now is that big brother at the VOSA is watching and knows how long the test takes, so it's much easier to enforce the full re-test rule (as they know when it's being broken).

If it does go to 2 yearly, then expect it to be much tougher!
Richard W
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

bxbodger wrote: There is talk of the test being brought into line with Europe by being done every 2 years instead of every year, which seems to be more or less unique to the UK.
I doubt that will happen here somehow. We always have to try make things more complicated & more expensive than everywhere else.
The EU MINIMUM is 2 years so we are well in.
<GONE>1991 Peugeot 106 1.1 Carb</GONE>
<GONE>2004 Peugeot 307 SW 2.0 Hdi</GONE>
1995 Peugeot 106 Ski 1.5 D
2006 FIAT Panda 1.3 MultiJet
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

bxbodger wrote:And the new certificates are even easier to fake than the old ones- they don't even have to have the embossed stamp!!
The certificate is superfluous now anyway. What matters is your record on Big Brother's database.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

bxbodger wrote:And the new certificates are even easier to fake than the old ones- they don't even have to have the embossed stamp!!

you cant really fake the barcode on it,the relivant authorities (police,post office etc) have scanners that read the barcodes ) can tell instantly if its forged.you can also phone the number on the back & quote the number under the barcode they will tel you straight away its forged.the new certificates are not even required to be kept in a safe as they are pretty much useless to anyone that steals them.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Experienced this new system for the first time today. No problems, the 504 sailed through. What it does however high light is preventative maintenance, those people who check the car over and do work to keep the car operating safely on a regular basis don't have a problem. Those who haven't a clue and just keep their fingers crossed, or take no interest in the out/underside of the car have problems ahead. With most cars 10 years old or less rust isn't going to be a major failure problem, galvanised bodies have been around for a long time now. It comes down to safety, i.e. brake pipes, steering joints, tyres etc etc which for goodness sakes the owner is risking their life at times! The cost is totally avoidable, the £40 whatever quid could of been spent on those parts beforehand rather than a retest fee.
Events Co-ordinator for :
http://www.clubpeugeotuk.org
1978 504 GL Diesel Saloon (daily drive !)
1978 104 GL 954cc (only 73 - 104s left in the UK).
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

With modern cars its the emissions bit where people tend to come unstuck- you can check take along a car in very good order with nothing apparently wrong with it and be hit with a fail on emissions.

I sometimes have a look on the Car Mechanics mag forum, and there's a whole section dedicated to MOT and emissions: there are some really expensive horror stories on there, real nightmare problems :shock: !!